Appleton Chapel.

The Rev. Professor George Harris, of Andover, conducted the service in Appleton chapel last evening. He chose as the text of his sermon John vs 17; "But Jesus answered them, My Father worked even until now, and I work." In these words Jesus justified himself for healing the lame man on the Sabbath. He had a flash of insight into the purpose of God, and understood that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. But His words have a larger significance than this. They show how deeply conscious Jesus was of God's working everywhere in the world, and how this consciousness was His inspiration, and may be ours. We all wish to help humanity, but are in doubt as to this proper method. The development of better persons is the real end to be sought, and this is to be attained only by the better development of our own character.

The choir sang the following selections: "How beautiful up on the mountains," Smith; "It shall come to pass," Tours; "God who cannot be unjust," Costa.

Recommended Articles

In Culminating 'Jesus Week' Event, Kyle Speaks to Crowd
Despite dreary weather, nearly 200 supporters gathered in front of the Science Center Friday afternoon to rally behind M. Kyle
Good Ol' Fashioned Religion
The advent of Jesus Week and the organization of several different Christian groups for a common purpose made me realize
God Will Be Found in Church
In his letter to the editor, Ken Liu reports that the Memorial Church failed to publicize that the "free talk"
Harvard Christianity Is Veritas Forum Topic
The 1996-97 Harvard Veritas Forum, a weekend-long conference exploring the role of God at Harvard, opened last night to a
Yard Proselytizing
Evangelist George "Jed" Smock yesterday urged Harvard students to seek God "before it's too late." Smock, speaking from the steps
JESUS A PROPHET, NOT A TEACHER, SAYS SPERRY
Speaking in Paine Hall yesterday afternoon on the "Actual Teaching of Jesus Himself" Dean W. L. Sperry of the Divinity