Yale Leter.

NEW HAVEN, March 14, 1889.

Editors Daily Crimson:

The all-acsorbing topic at present is the event of the second annual winter games, which will be held during Friday and Saturday of this week, and will be given under the auspices of the Y. A. A. and Second Regiment C. N. G. The number of entries far exceed those of any previous in-door athletic meeting which Yale has ever held and a number of prominent athletes will contest. The rules which will govern all contests will be intercollegiate, allowing members of the A. A. U. and N. A. A. A. A. to compete. The first evening will be devoted almost wholly to events of interest to Yale men, and upon the second will be held the open events.

Practicing has begun at the field and the candidates for the nine are hard at their work, though not showing up as satisfactorily as could be wished for. Of last year's team there are at present in training, Captain Noyes, '89, G. McClintock, '90, McBride, '90, S., and Calhoun, '91. These men will probably hold their same positions and Dalzell, '91, substitute on last year's team, will undoubtedly pitch. The other candidates have had more or less experiance upon their class nines and those of preparatory schools. For catcher Poole, '91, is the most promising candidate; McClung, '92, and Heffelfinger, '91, S., for pitcher; Traver, '89, S., Graves, '91, Cushing, '91, Harvey, and Day, '89, S. for short-stop; for the out-field, N. McClintock, '91, W. McClintock, '91, Stokes, '89, and Parker, '91.

The candidates for the university crew are already at training table and the mildness of the weather has made it possible to row daily on the habor. The men at the table, eleven in number, are as follows: Captain Woodruff, '89, Hartwell, '89, S., Brewster, '91, Caldwell, D. S., Allen, '91, Ferris, '91, Harrison, '90, Isham, '91, Newell, '90, Mosle '89, and Rogers, '90, S.

The freshman crew is making fair progress, but the nine is in poor condition, owing to the general lack of enthusiasm in the class.

The Easter trip of the University Glee and Banjo Club will be similar to that of last year and the clubs will leave on April 17 and visit Boston, Old Point Comfort, Washington and Philadelphia, returning to New Haven April 25.

A meeting of Yale delegates, composed of ex-Captain Corbin, '89, Captain Rhodes, '91, and W. C. Camp, '80, will shortly be held in New York, with Harvard delegates, to decide upon the place of the next Harvard-Yale game.

The new gymnasium is no longer an air castle but owing to the untiring efforts of Professor Richards, its erection will undoubtedly begin in the near future.

The progress of the new recitation hall has been very decided during the winter months, and it is expected that Commencement, "The Fence" will be restored to its former position.

YALE NEWS.