Sophomore Theatricals.

The sophomores gave their first public spring theatricals in Union Hall last night before a most enthusiastic audience. The play was excellent and compared favorably with the sophomore theatricals of the past. It was called, "Ye Courtshippe of Myles Staundyshe,' a Piece of Puritanical Persiflage in two Acts, four Scenes and Several Situations" and was purported to be written by R. H. Thinfellow. The play describes the passion of Myles for Priscilla, how he got John Alden to plead for him and how Priscilla repulsed Myles but accepted John. The intrigues of Hobomok, the chief of the Wampums with Myles and the tragic end of John Alden created much laughter. The Overseers Scene in which the proposed regulations were alluded to was one of the best hits.

The choruses were well staged and full of lively and well chosen music. The girls were all pretty in short Puritan dresses, and the men were extremely warlike. Priscilla, the heroine of the play was the beauty of the evening and her "Ophelia" act was well received. Myle's topical song contained many happy local hits, Hobomok brought forth merited applause on all occasions. In the last act the Giraffy Ballet Troupe appeared and were hardly allowed to retire by the audience. Credit is due Mr. Atkinson for the selection and rendering of the music.