The Intercollegiate Games.

From the present outlook the intercollegiate athletic games next spring will be much more closely contested than they were last year. At the games on the Berkeley Oval last May Harvard won with 46 points, far ahead of the next college, Yale, which scored 25 points. Princeton had 22 and Columbia 19 points.

This year the scores of all four of the leading colleges will be evened up, and it is improbable that there will be a difference between any of the scores of more than a very few points. Harvard has suffered severely in the loss of Lee, Finlay, Davis, Taylor, and Hale, all of whom won points at the intercollegiate games last year.

Harvard got only one place in the two sprints last year. This year again it seems likely that Princeton's representatives, Vredenburg and Swain, who won 14 points last year will carry off the honors in the 100 and 220 yards dashes. Last year in the middle distances, where Harvard was supposed to be strong, she got only a second place. She will enter as usual some strong men this year, but they will have against them last year's champions; for Wright of Yale, who won the half-mile in 1.59 1-5, and Shattuck of Amherst, who took the 440 in 49 1-2 seconds, will both be on hand again this year. Turner of Princeton, and Vosburgh of Columbia, who won respectively second and third places in the half-mile, are both formidable men again for that distance. Vosburgh has a record of 1.59 1-2.

In the mile Harvard will have the same men who won her six points last year, Carr and Lowell. Woodbridge of Princeton, who took second place has developed remarkably and is looked upon as a most promising man. Whitney of Columbia, is also a first class man with a record of 4.36.

In the hurdles Yale has lost Williams, her best man. But Lynam, who got a place at the intercollegiates for Yale is hurdling in excellent form. Cornell is also said to have an excellent man for the hurdles.

In the mile walk Collis of Columbia is the present champion in 7.01 3-5. Before the games last year Borcherling of Princeton was considered to have an equal chance with Collis. He kept but a few feet behind Collis most of the way, but was disqualified on the last lap. Both he and Ottely from Princeton will give Collis a hard fight.

In the field events Ramsdell of Princeton has a record of 22.6 on the broad jump. In the pole vault Briggs and Cartwright who got places in the Harvard-Yale games at Cambridge will do some excellent work.

Besides the men above mentioned, there are a number of athletes who, for various reasons, were not in good condition last year, but whose reputations have long been made. Roddy of Princeton, a quarter mile runner, was ill last spring. But during the summer he went abroad on the Manhattan team, and is now considered a first class man. Ellsworth and Scoville of the old men at Yale, and Swayne and Allen of the new, are all well-known; and Harding of Columbia is the most promising man for the sprints that Columbia has ever had.