Columbia's Chances at the Intercollegiate Games.

The Columbia College athletic team has been working very hard this year and expects to make a good showing next Saturday at the intercollegiate games on the Berkeley track.

In the 100-yards dash Columbia will be represented by H. Shipman, and in the 220-yards run probably by H. M. Banks, but unless these men improve greatly their chances are considered to be very small. H. M. Banks and H. R. Cowell are entered for the quarter mile run and M. R. Strong, J. M. Hewhitt and F. G. Colton will contest in the half-mile run. The general opinion is that Dohm of Princeton will win one of these races. In the mile run Columbla's representatives are H. F. Hornbostel and A. S. Vosburgh. Columbia men think they have an excellent chance in this race. In the mile walk T. McIlvanie and L. Collis are entered H. Mapes is expected to win either the 120 or 220 yards hurdle race, if not both. There is no favorite for the two-mile bicycle race.

The pole vault will be contested by H. F. Welsh '90 of Columbia. As Shearman of Yale has a record of 10 feet 5 inches he has an excellent chance to capture the prize at this year's games. Columbia has entered E. B. Hinman, '90 in putting the shot and throwing the hammer.

The broad jump will probably be one of the prettiest contests of the day. The record now stands at 21 feet 71/2 inches. V. Mapes, '91, Columbia's champion, a few weeks ago cleared 21 feet 91/2 inches and Shearman of Yale has covered 29 feet. F. C. Hooper '90, is the New Yorker in the high jump, but Webster of the University of Pennsylvania will probably ne able to capture it.

Of all the events the Columbia men are mostly confident of winning the tug of war. The team is composed of G. M. Elliott, anchor; E. Harris, No. 3, E. C. Robisnson, 2, and C. H. Hart, 1. The team during the winter has pulled all the principal college teams, and has defeated them all, including Harvard. Princeton, Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania. Its only defeat was by the celebrated Kling brothers of New Haven.