Yale, 15; Harvard, 3.

Harvard played Yale Saturday afternoon on the Yale field and was beaten 15 to 3. Stagg's pitching, and the general excellence of the Yale team won the game. Harvard could not hit Stagg effectively, for although Harvard found the ball fifteen or more times the Yale fielders, both infield and out, were so sure that only three base hits were made. Stagg made one of his most remarkable records, and Poole as catcher, was all that any nine could desire. Downer did not do himself justice, and was hit badly, Yale making fourteen hits for twenty. The day was beautiful and a large crowd filled the grand stand and surrounded the entire field. Harvard was well represented by a delegation of over eighty men.

Harvard was first at the bat. Dean got his base on balls and Linn followed by a hit to McClung in right field, who caught it and in a fine manner, doubled it on Dean as he endeavored to get back to first. Stagg threw to first and put Howland out. Stagg was given first, stole second, and Calhoun's base hit brought him to third. McClintock hit a grounder to Corning who stopped it, but unfortunately threw it away over Willard's head into the crowd and the three men scored. Fumbles by Howland and Linn, a hit by Dalzell, and a base on balls brought McClung and McBride home. Noyes and Cushing struck out. Score 5-to 0. Second-Willard got third on Dalzell's error, Yale's only fielding error, and on Mumford's sacriflce hit reached home. Poole caught a difficult foul from Henshaw's bat and Corning struck out. Yale did not score during the second inning. Poole was out, Corning to Willard; McClintock struck out and Stagg, Calhoun and McClung were left on bases, Downer throwing McBride out at first base. Cummings hit sharply near first but was put out by Calhoun on a fine running catch. Downer was out at second, Linn struck out and Dean was left. Willard caught Noyes' short fly, Henshaw caught Dalzell's foul tip, and Poole struck out, leaving Cushing. In the fourth Harvard got the last two runs on account of errors by Noyes and Calhoun, and a passed ball. The fifth inning was an unfortunate one. McBride was out, Corning to first, but Noyes' single followed by Dalzell's three base hit, two bases on balls and Calhoun's single brought home three runs, one earned. Harvard was simply outplayed. From the fifth inning Stagg was at his best. In the sixth he pitched seven strikes in succession, and Harvard was out by Henshaw's fly to left. McClung lead off with a three base hit, McBride got first on balls, and then the first inning was repeated. Corning got a grounder fielded it, but threw it again over first into the crowd and all three got home. The rest of the side went out with Cushing left on third. Seventh-Mumford was caught at second after reaching first base on balls, Corning and Cummings struck out. Yale made three more runs on a base on balls, McClintock's hit, McClung's second three base hit and Henshaw's poor throw to third. Three men were put out on second, two of them caught by Henshaw for Harvard. Downer struck out. Dean and Linn hit the ball but neither got to first. Howland's good throw to first caught Poole, and Stagg was caught by Downer's assist on first. Calhoun got a hit but was caught by Henshaw on third. In the ninth, Mumford and Willard got each a base hit, but flies and a strike out of Corning's left them on second and third. In the fifth Downer had the satisfaction of striking out Stagg. The score:

YALE.AB. R. BH. TB. PO. A. E.

Stagg, p. 5 1 2 2 0 10 0

Calhourn, 2b. 4 2 3 3 4 1 1

N. McClintock, lf. 6 2 2 2 2 0 0

McClung, rf. 4 3 2 6 2 9 0

McBride, 1b. 2 2 0 0 7 0 0

Noyes, 3b. 5 2 2 2 1 3 1

Dalzell, cf. 5 1 2 4 1 0 1

Cushing, ss. 3 1 1 1 0 1 0

Poole, c. 4 1 1 0 10 2 2

Totals. 38 15 14 20 27 26 5

HARVARD.AB. R. BH. T.B. PO. A. E.

Dean, 2b. 3 0 1 1 4 1 0

Linn, rf. 4 0 0 0 0 0 1

Howland, 3b. 4 1 0 0 2 4 1

Willard, 1b. 4 1 1 1 11 0 0

Henshaw, c. 4 0 0 0 7 4 1

Mumford, cf. 3 1 1 1 0 0 0

Corning, ss. 4 0 0 0 0 4 3

Cummings, lf. 3 0 0 0 0 0 1

Downer, p. 2 0 0 0 0 8 0

Totals. 31 3 3 3 24 21 7

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yale. 5 0 0 0 4 3 3 0-15

Harvard. 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 3

Earned runs, Yale 3; three base hits, McClung (2), Dalzell; first base on balls, Yale 10 Harvard 3; first base on errors, Yale 3, Harvard 4; struck out, Yale 6, Harvard 9; passed balls, Poole; wild pitches, Downer; double plays, McClung to McBride; flies caught, Yale 8, Harvard 2; fours caught, Yale 1, Harvard 1; out on bases, Yale 6, Harvard 4; left on bases, Yale 9, Harvard 4; time, 2 hours, 15 minutes; umpire, Kelly.