The Yale Nine.

Yale men are talking rather dubiously in regard to their chances for winning the baseball pennant again in the spring. The famous battery without which the nine could have done but little during the past three years, has been broken up by the graduation of Dann, and it is said that Stagg is unwilling to play again. These losses taken together with Harvard's increased chances on account of the removal of certain restrictions, make the New Haven men talk as if the loss of the pennant by Yale next spring was by no means improbable. Captain Noyes will have plenty of material from which to select men to fill the vacant positions. At present, Poole, '91, and McClung, '92, are the most promising men for the position of catcher. There have been some rumors that Stagg would go behind the bat, but they seem to have little foundation. Poole, '91, was catcher and captain of his class nine last year. He is a good back stop, and probably will be selected to fill Dann's position. McClung, '92, half back on the eleven this fall, caught on the Phillips Exeter Academy nine for four years. He is a heavy batter and can play in almost any position. If he does not catch it is probable that he will be given one of the out fields. Unless Stagg can be induced to alter his decision, Dalzell, '91, will pitch. He was substitute pitcher last year and can be relied upon to do good work, although he is a trifle wild in his delivery. McBride will again cover first base, McClintock, second base, and Noyes, (captain), third base. McConkey plays a brilliant game at short stop, and he will without much doubt be retained in that position. Calhoun, '91, will play again in the field, together with G. McClintock, '90, and the change pitcher or catcher. During the winter the candidates, twenty in number, will train under the direction of Captain Noyes and ex-Captain Stagg. The work will consist of batting and battery practice in the cage and light gymnasium exercise, and will continue until the weather permits outdoor practice