The Kneisel Quartet Concert.

The second concert of the series by the Kneisel Quartet was given in Sever 11 last evening before a small but enthusiastic audience. The ensemble playing was faultless, but especial praise is due to Mr. Kneisel for the sympathetic and inspiring quality of his tone. In the new 'cellist, Mr. Hekking, one misses the geniality and richness of tone which characterized Mr. Giese's playing of former years. But everyone cannot own such a superb instrument as Mr. Giese possesses. The second violin in the hands of Mr. Roth has too little prominence compared with its importance in the string quartet. In the Haydn quartet, D Minor, op. 76, especial mention must be made of the Andante and Menuetto movements. The latter fairly sparkled with good humor. The Beethoven quartet, C minor, op, 18, was charming throughout and showed the fine retouching of the great master. In the movement from the C minor quarter of Grieg, there was a departure from classical models and a use of orchestral effects which, though masterly, seemed out of place.

These concerts afford an opportunity for hearing the highest and most refined effaces yet attained in music and no one can be too strongly urged to attend them.