Rules for Debate.

A little manual entitled "Parliamentary Tactics, or Rules for Debate," by H. W. Hoot, has just appeared. It is arranged in a way specially adapted for use by "the Chair" from such standard authorities as Roberts, Cushing, Matthias, Jefferson and Crocker. Where the authorities differ, the view most conformable to the latest and most thoroughly established usages of parliamentary law has been accepted.

The table of motions has been arranged by placing on the margin names of such motions as are used in common parliamentary practice with their classification and order of precedence, the motions having the highest order of precedence in a deliberative body being placed at the top of the book; and descending in regular consecutive order will be found those having the next highest order of precedence, viz.- privileged questions, incidental questions, subsidiary motions and the main question-thus can be seen without turning a page, and in a moments time, whether a motion is in order. Between each marginal reference will be found in a condensed form all the rules relating to that particular question.

The book is so arranged that it can be carried in the pocket, and will be found of great aid to those who are required to decide questions of parliamentary law without reference to larger text books.