VICTORY.

Harvard's Eleven Plays a Perfect Game.

No eleven ever won a harder fought or better deserved victory than did Harvard at Springfield Saturday. The victory is not the result of one year's training alone; it is the consummation of the work begun here years ago. It has been a long, hard and often a discouraging lesson, this learning of the game of football. Three times of late years we have thought that we had it mastered, and each time Yale has sent us back to Cambridge to study it some more. But we have stuck to the task with a dogged perseverance, and the 15,000 people who saw Harvard defeat Yale at Hampden Park Saturday, must admit that we have now learned the game thoroughly. Harvard met the strongest team Yale ever put in the field, and fairly outplayed it. It was a hard fought game from beginning to end. Nothing more admirable has ever been seen on the football field, than the desperate rally of the Yale team after the tide had turned against them. They earned their single touch-down if ever a team did; they simply pushed the ball straight up the field. It was desperate work, but it could not defeat Harvard. Captain Cumnock's men were somewhat careless after they had scored their second touchdown, and this is one reason why Yale succeeded in scoring; for after that Yale touchdown they settled down to steady work again, and all of Yale's efforts were in vain after that.

Harvard's Work in the First Half.The game was really won in the first half. The magnificent work of Harvard's lighter rush line, with the wind against them, holding the Yale giants at bay for three-quarters of an hour, will never be forgotten by football enthusiasts. It was not done by brilliant work; it was simply hard, steady, honest football playing that balked every bull rush of the Yale center, broke up the Yale interference, and prevented the wearers of the blue from gaining by their favorite round the end play. Another feature of this first half must not be forgotten, and that is the kicking of B. Trafford with the wind against him. Time and time again when Yale had worked the ball down the field, he relieved the Harvard goal from danger by his long, low punts against the wind. Harvard was necessarily on the defensive all through this half, and Yale's aggressive play made the greater impression upon the spectators. It was not until the half had ended, and people began to discuss the conditions of the game so far, as well as the general play, that the real character of the work done by Harvard began to be realized. Then the confidence of Harvard men increased rapidly, and when the team came smiling upon the field at the beginning of the second half, there was not a supporter of the crimson who was not ready to prophesy victory.

Harvard's Aggressive Play.How well the confidence was justified was soon shown. Harvard played aggressively from the start. The ball soon went into Yale's territory, and there it stayed until Harvard had scored enough to win the game. Whatever of brilliancy Harvard's play had lacked during the first half, it gained during the early part of this second half. The wind had died away completely so that the advantage which Yale had had when playing at the west end of the field was lost to Harvard. But this did not matter; Harvard was not to be denied. The whole team went at Yale in the whirlwind style that has been characteristic of Harvard's play all the fall, and when Yale woke up, about an half-hour later, the score was 12-0 against them. The way the rush-line shoved Yale's heavy forwards about, and the manner in which the backs streaked through the Yale line and around the end, called forth continuous cheering from the Harvard side of the field.

The Individual Play.The individual work of every man on the team was strong. At right end Hallowell and Hartwell, Yale's oldest and most experienced player, were opposite each other. Hartwell did some fine tackling, and followed up the ball well, but Hallowell was his equal at every point, and in blocking off was far superior. His work and Newell's were largely responsible for Lee's magnificent run around the end.

Newell's play was perfect. He was altogether too much for Wallis his opponent, who could not keep him from tackling a single rusher who came anywhere near him. He did about the best tackling in the line.

At right guard P. Trafford and Heffelfinger were pitted against each other. Heffelfinger played a brilliant game at times, and in the last half fell through on Dean once or twice. But Cranston at centre had no trouble with Lewis. He got through and fell on the ball in fine form. He was inclined to interfere with the ball occasionally, but otherwise his game was perfect. Finlay and S. Morison stood each other off about evenly for the first part of the game, but towards the last half Finlay began to push Morrison around. He did some of the best tackling in the line. In fact the whole centre held like a wall, except at the time when Yale's bull rushes won her a touch-down.

Upton was bothered a little by his lame ankle, but it did not prevent his tackling well, and following Rhodes so closely on a rush that the Yale captain could never gain with the ball. Upton made one noteworthy run which was not allowed. Rhodes who played opposite him tackled finely, and his defensive work was steady and sure. Alward also played a steady and plucky game when he was put on. Cumnock had Crosby to take care of, and he did it finely, with the exception of one long run made around his end in the first part of the game. Cumnock followed the ball well all through the game, and was always on hand.

Dean's playing at quarter left nothing to be desired. He ran the game finely, and his own individual body work was superb. His breaking through the line was constant and to his play, unaided almost, Harvard owed one of her touch-downs.

Corbett and Lake both did well; but Corbett held the ball better and played the steadier game. Lake made some of his irresistible ball rushes, and his tackling was magnificient. Corbett was unfortunate in having some of his rushes not counted, but on the whole he gained the most ground for Harvard.

Lee, who took Lake's place, made his one magnificent run, and made some shorter rushes. He tackled surely, and his general play was perfect.

B. Trafford played a beautiful game. He out-kicked Morison against the wind, and showed fine head-work all through. He rushed the ball well, also.

Of the Yale backs, McClung played for and away the best game. His weak point was at taking kicks, but he made up for it by the best rushes on the field. He was also the surest tackle back of the line on his side. Williams made one or two good runs, but his work was not remarkable. Barbour's passing at quarter-back was good, but his work suffered greatly by comparison with Dean's. Morison and Bliss, who took Williams' place, made some good gains. Morison through the center, and Bliss through the ends of the line.

Appearance of the Teams.It was a little after two o'clock when the huzzas of the assembled faithful announced the arrival of the Harvard eleven on the field. As the men dodged under the rope, headed by Capt. Cumnock, and trotted down the field, thousands of crimson flags waved enthusiastically in the air, and thousands of voices, joined in the general chorus of welcome. When the Yale team arrived a few minutes later, Yale men vied with Harvard enthusiasts in cheering their favorites. Both teams went at their practice with a determination which told plainly how the game was to be fought.

It was 2.35 o'clock when referee Irvine gave the signal for the teams to prepare for the fray. Captain Rhodes had won the toss, and Harvard was forced to face the wind. The teams lined up for the word as follows:

HARVARD. YALE.

Cumnock end Crosby

Upton tackle Rhodes

Finlay guard S. Morison

Cranston center Lewis

P. Trafford guard Heffelfinger

Newell tackle Wallis

Hallowell end Hartwell

Dean quarter-back Barbour

Lake right half-back McClung

Corbett left half-back Williams

B. Trafford full-back B. Morison

Referee, Mr. Irvine, of Princeton.

Umpire, Mr. George, of Princeton.

The Game.

As Cranston stooped over the ball, and the rest of the team gathered completely about him preparatory to sending Lake behind the wedge, the excitement was almost painful, it was so intense. The ball was snapped back and there was a moment's silence. The two lines came together and the V began to break up. Then a mighty shout went up from Harvard's side of the field, for Lake had forged out to the right, and had advanced the ball ten yards before he was weighted down by a wriggling, pushing, hauling mass of humanity. The men were up in a moment, and now the rushers were face to face. The ball went back to Corbett, and he flashed between right tackle and end for another ten yards. Again the Harvard cheers rolled up and down the field. Newell, Lake and Corbett were sent against the line in turn. Then the ball was given to Lake again; he failed to gain, and in the scrimmage lost the ball, and Heffelfinger fell on it.

Yale's Gain Around the End.

The signal was given for B. Morison to try the right end, Yale's favorite play. It was a success; aided by some remarkable interference Morrison covered 35 yards, before he was forced out. This looked dubious for Harvard, but it was the last long gain around the end made by Yale during the afternoon. Yale kept the ball for a considerable time now and managed to force it forty yards into Harvard's territory before compelled to kick. Then B. Morison sent the ball sailing down on the wind, and Trafford was allowed a fair catch on Harvard's five-yard line. Lake gained eight yards behind the V; Corbett failed to advance the ball, however, and then a fumble forced Trafford to try kicking against the wind. It was a beautiful punt, and as Hallowell was down upon Morison the moment he caught the ball, gained Harvard forty yards.

Before Yale had advanced the ball far, a fumble by Williams lost it, and again Trafford kicked. Morison muffed the ball, but Hartwell was quicker than the Harvard ends and secured it. Owing to the tackling of Cumnock and Lake Yale could not gain a foot, and the ball came back to Harvard on four downs. Then Rhodes was caught off side, and Harvard given five yards in consequence. Corbett gained ten yards more through a hole between Morison and Rhodes, but the latter claimed that he had been held, and Yale was given the ball.

Neither Side Gains.The play remained near the middle of the field now for some time, neither team being able to make any considerable gains or to keep the ball for a long time. Finally a long punt by Trafford sent the ball to Yale's 25 yard line. It was returned a moment later to Corbett at the centre. On the first down Corbett streaked through the Yale line for fifteen yards, but the referee again gave Yale the ball for alleged holding. The strong wind enabled Morison to send the ball away down towards the Harvard goal; Trafford mufled the ball and a Yale man fell on it. It seemed now that Yale must secure a touch-down, but the Harvard line said, "No." Newell was everywhere; he first prevented gains by his superb tackling, and then broke through and secured the ball on Williams' fumble. Trafford kicked strongly, and Cumnock was upon McClung before he could move with the ball. Rhodes tried the centre, but ran into Finlay's arms; then Yale punted. Corbett caught the ball, dodged Hartwell and Crosby, and, aided byHallowell's interference, made a pretty run of 25 yards.

Harvard's Fine Defensive Play.The ball was given to Newell, but he fumbled and S. Morison secured it for Yale. B. Morison punted; Hartwell interfered with Trafford's fair catch, and Harvard was given five yards in consequence. Then began a long struggle during which the ball wandered about between Harvard's thirty five and twenty yard lines. Harvard's magnificent defensive play prevented Yale from accomplishing anything in spite of the encouraging cheers from the Yale side of the field. McClung made one weak try for a goal from the field, and just before time was called tried for a goal from a place kick at the forty yard line. He failed, and the first half ended. It was a virtual victory for Harvard. The mighty Yale centre had accomplished nothing with P. Trafford, Cranston and Finlay, all of whom had played magnificently. The Yale interference had not enabled her backs to get around the ends owing to the strong work of Harvard's tackles and ends. And finally the Harvard backs, and especially Trafford, had done so much when Harvard had the ball, that Yale with all the conditions in her favor had been played to a stand still.

The Second Half.Fifteen minutes later the teams made their reappearance. Again they they were received with great enthusiasm, but it was the Harvard cheers which had the confident ring this time. It was Yale's ball, and B. Morison gained six yards behind the V. McClung tried to go between Finlay and Upton, but they objected. Williams tried the centre in vain. He decided that his shoulder was hurt, and after some discussion Captain Cumnock allowed Bliss to take his place. Rhodes went at the centre and ran into Cranston's arms. Perry Trafford was giving the giant Heffelfinger a livelier game than he is accustomed to play, and it was useless for Captain Rhodes to send his men against Harvard's centre. B. Morison kicked to prevent the ball from going to Harvard on four downs. A minute later Trafford sent the ball well back. Again the Yale backs bucked the centre in vain; Upton, Newell and Finlay in turn prevented gains, and the ball came to Harvard on four downs. Dean gave the ball to Upton, and he made one of the prettiest runs of the afternoon aided by Newell's interference. But the umpire decided that there had been holding in the Harvard line; so the run did not count, and the ball went to Yale. Bliss tried but was stopped without gain by Dean. McClung, however, made a pretty run of fifteen yards, being finally stopped by Cumnock. Wallis, B. Morison and Rhodes managed to squeeze out live yards through the centre. Bliss tried the same avenue and found a resting place beneath Cranston; Finlay received Wallis with brotherly warmth; and on the third down McClung tried in vain for a goal from the field. Trafford allowed the ball to roll across the line, and it was then brought to the twenty-five yard line.

Harvard Wakes Up.Harvard now began a very aggressive game. Lake gamed eight yards around the end; and Coroett went through the centre for five yards. Upton failed to gain because S. Morison was off-side, but for the same reason Harvard got five yards. A punt by Trafford gave McClung a chance to muff. He did so, and quick as flash, Hallowell had picked up the ball; he ran forty yards and scored a touchdown. The umpire decided, however, that Cumnock's interference had been unfair, and the ball was brought back to the centre. For some time neither team made appreciable gains, and the ball exchanged hands twice. It came to Harvard at length near the centre of the field after a long punt by Morison. Lake went through right tackle and end for fifteen yards. When tackled he was hurt, and lost the ball to Rhodes who gained five yards. Lake was found to be quite badly injured, and was helped off the field amid sympathetic cheers.

Lee takes Lake's Place."Jim, Jim," called Captain Cumnock, and amid a thunder of applause Lee trotted upon the field, happy to have a chance to show his speed around the end of the Yale line. Fortunate Jim Lee! A few minutes later he was to be the proudest man in all that throng. It was Yale's ball, and she forced it back to near the middle of the field by short rushes. There Harvard stopped all further gain, and secured the ball. After a few short rushes through the line. Trafford was forced to kick again B. Morison was allowed a fair catch, and his brother was put behind the wedge. Finlay did not like to be separated from the man he had been so intimate with all the afternoon, and sought an early opportunity to fold him in a loving embrace. McClung, however, gained five yards, and Wallis five more. Bliss was given the ball but he fumbled it and John Cranston was upon it like a flash.

Lee's Great Run and Touch-down.Dean signaled Lee to try the right end. As Dean arose for the pass, Lee was already on his way to the right; the ball went straight into his arms. Newell and Hallowell kept Wallis and Hartwell at buy, and he was safely around the end. How he runs now! McClung and Morison felt the weight of his hand as they tried to tackle him. Thousands of Harvard's supporters were wild with delight. Cheer upon cheer rent the air. As Lee crossed the line and kept on until he was back of the posts, the crowd rose in a body, and greater enthusiasm has never been seen on the foot ball field. Trafford kicked the goal.

Score, Harvard 6; Yale 0.Yale started well from the centre. McClung and Heffelfinger gained 18 yards. Dean was hurt in tackling McClung, but on the next down he broke through beside the mighty Heffelfinger, hit Barbour's arm and spoiled the pass.

Dean Scores the Winning Touch-down.Then picking up the ball, he rushed away for Yale's goal. It was a hard race between him and tall Hartwell, but Dean was to the line ahead. Again Trafford kicked the goal, and again ten thousand throats split the air. Score, Harvard 12; Yale 0.

Yale Takes a Brace.Yale now made one of the most remarkable braces ever seen. She massed her heavy line and repeatedly bucked the Harvard line. Never losing the ball, she forced it to Harvard's goal line.

McClung's Touch-down and Goal.McClung, by a good rush, carried it over. He also kicked a very difficult goal, and the enthusiasm of the Yale men knew no bounds. Score, Harvard 12; Yale 6.

The Close of the Game.During the remainder of the game it was too dark to see the plays. Harvard's goal was never in danger. The eleven simply contented itself with keeping the score what it was. Whenever Yale would get the ball down well toward the line, the Harvard rushers would hold Yale and secure the ball. Then Trafford would send it up the field with a long punt, and let the Yale men wear themselves out forcing it back. It was a long half, but at last the referee called time, and the game was won. Trafford got through him without much trouble, and in turn did some fine blocking and tackling.