The Atlantic.

Harvard is again represented in the Atlantic in the February number, this time by Professor Royce and Mr. Alpheus Hyatt. Besides these gentlemen at present connected with the University, the following alumni have contributions: William Everett, Theodore Roosevelt, Percival Lowell and Frank Gaylord Cook. The Atlantic thus plainly continues to do its duty towards Harvard and Harvard towards the Atlantic.

Professor Royce's article deals with the second of the "Two Philosophers of the Paradoxical," Schopenhauer. It is a remodelling and condensation of the lecture in the course on "Modern Thinkers" which Cambridge people had the opportunity to hear this winter.

Mr. Alpheus Hyatt's article, entitled "The Next Stage in the Development of Public Parks," urges the introduction into city parks of zoological gardens, which are capable of attracting the attention both of young and old and furnish materials to the anatomist, the artist and the teacher.

The articles by Messrs. Everett, Roosevelt and Cook are all devoted to history and political science. Dr. Everett writes on the French Spoliation Claims, Mr. Roosevelt on "An Object Lesson in Civil Service Reform" and Mr. Cook contributes a biographical and critical sketch of John Rutledge.

A feature of the number is "Some Unpublished Letters of Charles and Mary Lamb" with comments by William Carew Hazlitt.

The verse is by Helen Gray Cone and Mrs. Graham R. Thomson. The serials by Mr. Lowell, Frank Stockton and Miss Fanny Murfree make systematic progress and at the end of the number are the usual book reviews and comments, together with the "Contributor's Club."

The new editor of the magazine continues to taboo short stories. His aim is apparently to make the Atlantic the medium for the publication of solid articles such as are contained in the English reviews. No American periodical today exactly corresponds to the English ones, but the Atlantic certainly is the one which most closely resembles them on account of its requirement that its articles shall be contributions to literature as well as sources of information.