Third Winter Meeting.

Order of Events.

The third and last Winter Meeting of the H. A. A. which was held in the gymnasium Saturday afternoon was by far the most successful of this year. There was a fair number of ladies present and the spectators judging from their applause, were much interested in the various events. The meeting was run off very smoothly, there being no delays to speak of and the three exhibition events relieved the monotony of the competitions and were great successes.

The fence vault, for which there were five entries, was the first event, only three men were on hand however. F. L. Donlap Gr. with a handicap of 7 1-2 inches won the event with an actual vault of 6 feet 8 1-2 inches. W. B. Huyler B. A. A. second.

The spring board leaping which came next was one of the most interesting events of the afternoon. The contestants, W. E. Putnam '96, R. D. Farquhar '93, I. W. Howerth '93, H. Hangerud Gr. Div., C. R. Bardeen '93 and F. W. Moore '93, first gave an exhibition in diving, leaping and somersaults, after which there was a competition for high leaping. W. E. Putnam '96 won by a leap of 8 feet 3 1-2 inches, breaking the record held by Dudley '87. R. D. Farquhar '93 was second.

The third event was fencing. The first bout was between J. A. Gade L. S. S. and J. Caswell '95, Gade winning 5 points to 3. In the next bout R. B. Merriman '96 beat A. Borden '96 5 points to 1. In the finals Gade beat Merriman 5 points to 4.

In the invitation club swinging there were three entries. J. D. Hill L. S. A. Gehring '95 and E. II. Parks B. Y. M. C. U. Hill won, E. H. Parks second.

In the exhibition fencing between M. Thiebeau B. A. A. and A. G. Thacher B. A. A. the former showed much shall in disarming Thacher but the latter won the event getting the largest number of points.

In the sixth event, the horizontal bar, the performances of Moore '93 and Bardeen '93 were noteworthy and they got first and second prizes respectively.

The rope climbing contest was won by E. Klein '95, time 10 seconds. C. M. Holmes '96, second. S. Kaveny of the Charlesbank gymnasium had a walk over in the flying rings contest.

N. Kishimoto's exhibition of Japanese top-spinning which came next was something entirely new, and he showed great skill and dexterity in his management of the top. After a little juggling with the top while it was in motion he began the second part of his act which was really wonderful.

Setting the top in motion with his hands he took a string and by throwing the top in the air, and catching it on its peg in a loop of the string be kept it continually spinning. Once the top went so high as to strike the rafters supporting the roof but it was caught nevertheless. He then walked around the hall keeping the top spinning all the time and throwing it over his head, under his legs and behind his back. The spectators were greatly pleased with the exhibition and Kishimoto received much applause.

In the 10 yards dash the winners of trial heats were 1st Seelig '96, and Waters '94, dead heats, 2nd Wheelwright '94, 3rd E. S. Benedict '96, 4th E. H. Clark '96, 5th F. Mason, L. S., 6th W. H. Whittren '95. In the semi finals 1st Waters first, Wheel wright second. 2nd Whittren first, Clark second. Finals Whittren won, Clark second after running off two dead heats with Waters.

R. Macallister '93 and F. Moore '93 repeated their double trapeze act given at the last meeting. As is the custom at the last meeting the different teams. Varsity captains and cups were cheered, as were also Dr. Wells of Brookline, who gave the inter class athletic cup and Mr. Lathrop.