North American Review.

The most interesting article in the April number of the North American Review to a patriotic American is the opening one on "Discipline in the Navy." Admiral Porter, the author, pays honor to the success of American naval officers in the difficulties they have to contend with, and cites the unequalled example of courage and valor shown by the sailors on our fleet destroyed at Samoa as a proof that the American navy needs no lessons in discipline.

Congressman W. C. P. Brechinridge continues the tariff discussion. Madame Adam sketches "Society in Paris" in a very gossipy and fashionable newspaper style. O. B. Bunce argues effectively that the reading public in America is much smaller than that of England. Mrs. Amelia E. Barr pleads for more restraint and modesty in our conversation that it may be better suited virginibus puerisque.

Other well-known and interesting contributors are Oswald Ottendorfer, Master-Workman Powderly, Ex-Governor Lowry of Mississippi, Francis Galton, F. R. S., Rev. Lyman Abbott, and Bishop Whipple of Minnesota. The subjects treated by these writers may be very approximately surmised by their names.

The department of Notes and Comments is also interesting. Marion Harland speaks of the Defamation of Charlotte Bronte. Helen Marshall North comes to the same conclusions as Mr. Bunce by a different track, and Edward Beecher and C. K. Tucker man discuss "Lyman Beecher and Infant Damnation."