The Philosophical Department for 1890-'91.

The Philosophical Department has been entirely revised. The courses are to be completely changed. The department is now divided into four groups, of which the first group is intended to furnish a preliminary acquaintance with philosophy as a whole; Groups II and III are of an advanced character and are intended for graduates and under-graduates who possess sufficient knowledge to take them; Group IV is for graduates exclusively, especially for teachers, and is made up chiefly of original research work.

Under Group I a course of Wednesday evening lectures will be given in Sever 11 by Professor Royce during the first half year on the History and Problems of Modern Philosophy. A course somewhat similar to Phil. 2 at present, will be conducted by Prof. Palmer in Logic. by Dr. Santayana in Psychology and by Prof. James in Metaphysics. Text books will be used but there will be no recitations.

Group II includes six courses. Prof. James gives a course in Psychology, similar to the latter part of Phil. 2 at present. A course in Cosmology, a Discussion of the problems of the Philosophy of Nature with regard to the modern doctrines of evolution, is given by Prof. Royce. Prof. Palmer will conduct a course in Ethics and Prof. Peabody a course on the Philosophy of Religion. Prof. Everett will give two advanced courses on religious topics.

Group III is made up of historical courses and includes seven courses, all of an advanced nature. Group IV corresponds to the courses now called Phil. 20, and so forth.

A pamphlet has been issued which contains a clear description of each course.