Musical Department for 1890-91.

This department is under the direction of Professor John Knowles Paine. The aim of the department is to provide a thorough training for students who intend to follow the musical profession as teachers and composers; to offer a course of technical study to those who wish to devote themselves chiefly to musical criticism and literature, and the cultivation of musical taste. In all the courses proficiency in piano playing is required. Course 1 is the necessary introduction to the other courses. Courses 1, 2, 5 and 6 must follow each other in regular order. Courses 3 and 7 afford a knowledge of harmony and counterpoint; they are given in alternate years as half courses. The following is a list of the courses: Course 1, Harmony, twice a week. The work in this conrse consists chiefly of written exercises on figured bases and the harmonization of given melodies, which are played over and corrected in the class room. Course 2, Counterpoint, twice a week. Simple forms of free composition-organ preludes, songs and part-songs-will be composed by students in this course. Course 5, Canon and Fuge. The work consists mainly of the composition of two-part conons in similar and contrary movement, with different intervals. Courses 3 and 6 are omitted in 1890-91. Course 7, a half course in instrumentation, is open to advanced students only. This course consists of lectures on the history of musical instruments; written analyses of the works of the principal composers; and exercises in orchestration. Students in these courses are advised by Prof. Paine to pursue some of the courses in French, German, Italian, history of the Fine Arts and in Acoustics.