Loans of Furniture to Students.

One of the largest items of expense in the college course of a poor student at Harvard is the cost of furnishing his room when he first comes to Cambridge. A considerable outlay is necessary, and it must all be made in one year. This is probably one of the chief of those considerations which so often prevent poor men from trying to come to college. Both students and members of the faculty have appreciated this fact, and two years ago steps were first taken to obviate the difficulty. A considerable amount of second hand furniture was collected in one way and another by a committee of officers and students, and loaned to men entering college, for such a sum as would pay the expenses of collection. The plan has worked well, and this year the committee which have the matter in charge resolved to enlarge their circle of operations. They have sent to each member of the senior class a circular asking for contributions of furniture, books, and pictures. Moreover, they have bought twenty complete sets of furniture at an expense of one thousand dollars, or fifty dollars a set. These sets are necessarily plain, but as substantial and serviceable as anybody could desire. Each set will be loaned for a year on deposit of $7.50, of which $2.50 will be given back at the end of the college year, provided that the furniture is returned in good condition, or that the lease is renewed. The scheme is intended to be self-supporting, and apparently has a very prosperous and useful future. Circulars are to be sent to all members of the incoming class, describing the plan, and stating the terms on which furniture will be loaned.

The committee particularly desire that a generous response should be made by seniors to the circulars sent them. A messenger will call upon men willing to give at any time they appoint. Notice of readiness to contribute should be sent to the Rev. Francis G. Peabody, chairman of the committee.