The Crews.

What the Candidates for the 'Varsity and Class Crews are Doing.

While our nine has been hard at work in the field getting ready for the championship struggle, the crews have not been idle. All of them have now settled down to serious work in anticipation of their coming races. Several old men have come back, and from three o'clock until dark the boat house presents an animated appearance.

The date of the class races has not as yet been definitely decided upon, but they will probably occur about May 6. It is more than likely that the 'varsity and the Athletic Club crews will row against each other on the same day. It has been found that the new Harvard bridge, not withstanding the breadth of its spans, will cause considerable difficulty, and some very clever steering will be required of the coxswains. Two of the four class crews will probably pass under the span nearest the draw on one side and two under the corresponding span on the other. The positions will be determined by lot in ample time to give each crew a chance to get perfectly familiar with its course before the day of the race.

During the recess the 'varsity have rowed twice a day with the exception of Monday and Tuesday, when they took a vacation. They are slowly improving under the instruction of the coaches, and the scratch races they have indulged in with the Athletic Club crew have proved of benefit.

All the class crews made good use of the recess. They each have about ten candidates with the exception of the freshmen, who have as many as four substitutes, but it is doubtful if all these are kept.

It is too early now-in fact it usually is too early until the class races are half over, to predict the order in which the crews will finish. Eighty-nine is perhaps the favorite, but both Ninety and Ninety-one are looked upon as possible winners. Ninety-two is pretty generally expected to come in last, but the freshmen may have a surprise in store for the upper-classmen.