Tug-of-War Challenge.

The following has been received by C. R. Bardeen, Secretary of the Athletic Association:

EVANSTON, Ill., Jan. 7, 1891.

Secretary H. A. A., Dear Sir:

Our tug-of war team will leave Chicago for the East about March 9th to pull against some of the eastern teams. We are now arranging dates, and desire very much to have the Harvard tug-of-war team on our list of pulls. We should be very much pleased to be able to make a date with you. We will meet you on your own grounds, and tug according to your own rules and conditions. We have enough funds to carry us through our trip. Will you have a tug with us? To show you that we mean business I will put it in the form of a challenge.

We, the members of the North western University tug-of-war team, champions of the Northwest, do hereby challenge the members of the Harvard tug of-war team to a tug-of-war contest, to be held on your own grounds, sometime between March 10th and 20th, date to be fixed when this challenge is accepted. Will pull according to your rules and conditions.

You will please write as soon as possible, letting me know whether you accept or decline this challenge. Hoping to hear favorably from you at an early date, I am, yours truly,

PHILIP GREINER.