English Universities in Winter.

An Interesting Letter from the Harvard Librarian, Mr. Justin Winsor.

Mr. Justin Winsor, the college librarian, who is at present in England, has just written an interesting letter to the Nation on "English Universities in Winter." The letter contains some sketches of the life at Oxford and Cambridge, and tells about the work of some of the prominent university men whom Mr. Winsor has met in England. Mr. Winsor speaks of the barren appearance of the college buildings and grounds at this season when the ivy on the old walls has disappeared and the trees have lost that thick foliage that makes English country so beautiful. The aspect of antiquity and decay that the buildings presented was not all pleasing. Inside the buildings, however, it was a different thing. The coziness of the college balls at Oxford and Cambridge was a thing that could not be found in either the Scotch universities or these of America. A dinner at the high at any of the large colleges of Oxford or Cambridge was an experience not soon to be forgotten. At the beginning of the meal the Latin grace is said by the senior officer at the high table. in some instances it is read in alternate vetses. The body of students on the floor of the ball generally finish their dinner before the masters do, and leave the hall as soon as they are through. to the possession of the masters on the dais.

After final grace the dons retire to what is called the "combination" or "common" room. This is hung with portraits of celebrated graduates of the college. Here the dons sit. as a rule, in the semi-circle in front of a cozy fire. To quite Mr. Winsors bright letter, "The propulsion of sherry, claret and port-these seem to be the orthodox wites of the after feast-gives a man something to do, in the gaps of conversation. With the fire place forming the link which connects the ends of the horse-shoe curve of sitters, there is a difficulty in the course of the viney propulsion. At some colleges I found they got over it by reversing the direction; but at New College and Queen's in Oxford, they had devices of their own. At the one a little track ran along the hearth and sustained a little carriage, in which the restless and viney vessel sped across the hot side of the circle; and at Queen's the track was placed upon the mantelpiece."

Half an hour or more is spent in this social, festive circle, after which the dons break up into little parties, and go to their rooms, where they pass the time in a cloud of smoke till nearly midnight.

Mr. Winsor mentioned meeting at Trinity College, Cambridge. Mr. Aldis Wright, who was hard at work getting out another edition of Shakespeate. This new edition will be an enlargement on his former one, with additional criticisms and sometimes revised judgments. Mr. Wright had finished three volumes, the first of which is probably at present in press.

At Oxford Mr. Winsor visited Dr. Murray. in his scriptorium, as they call the building where his great Dictionary of the English Language is being compiled. The building is made of corrugated iron. The inside walls are covered as high as you can reach with shelves. on which stand the millions of slips relating to different usages of words in all phases of English literature. On other shelves are all the leading dictionaries of the language, open at the particular word under consideration, so that comparison may be made without any needless delay.

Mr. Winsor also met Dr. Waldstem, who was preparing to start for Athens, where he will take charge of the American School of Greek Archaeology.