The American School at Athens.

The American School of Classical Studies at Athens which was founded October 2, 1882, in order to give a wider opportunity for classical study than is obtainable in colleges in other countries, owes a very great deal to Harvard men. The plan of the school was developed by Professor Goodwin, and the institution itself started under his guidance; and Professor Norton has always been one of its heads. The building was designed by William R. Ware '52. The secretary is Thomas Ludlow, Harvard '82. Professors J. W. White and F. D. Allen have both served on the board of directors. James Russell Lowell of the class of '38 is a trustee. Dr. Tarbell has been appointed as director at large.

Among the Harvard men who have been students at the school at Athens are: H. Fowler '80. Dr. James Wheeler '85, F. D. Kalopothakes '88, Paul Shorey '78 and H. T. Hildreth '85.

Yale, Amherst, Columbia, Cornell, Trinity, Wesleyan, Wellesley and Harvard are among the colleges who subscribe $250 dollars a year to the school. There are two directors, one appointed annually by one of the subscribing colleges and the other is permanent. The latter is Dr. Charles Wallstein, archaeological instructor at Cambridge University.

A graduate of any one of the subscribing colleges may receive instruction at the school, without tuition, as may any other American student whom the committee on membership may see fit to receive.

A new building for the school was erected three years ago which cost about twenty-five thousand dollars, and the ground on which it stands was presented by the Greek government. In fact the work both of directors and students is greatly facilitated, not only by the material help always afforded the institution by the government, but also by the mere feeling that the country where their studies are pursued wishes them well and is willing to do all in its power if any new assistance may be needed.

Besides the work done in Athens the influence of the institution has proved to be very beneficial to studies of the classics in America. After a residence of a year or so at Athens the instructor or student is sure to return to his American college, full of enthusiasm as well for the school itself as for every branch of the work pursued in it.