University Crew News.

A number of changes have lately been made in the order of rowing. Waitress, Rantoul, Vail and Jones went over to the second crew, and Cummings, Shaw. Newell and Ellsworth went on the first.

Mr. J. A. Watson-Taylor who rowed on the Cambridge University crew in 1878, and is now living in New York, has been in town several days looking at the crew. Tuesday night Mr. Watson-Taylor had a talk with the crew on the theory of rowing and explained the present mode of rowing in England. There is an almost absolute similarity between the principles of rowing in England and in Yale and Harvard. There are some points of difference; all Englishmen are agreed that the slide and body swing ought to go together both in the stroke and in the recover; in Yale the swing and slide go together on the recover but not in the stroke. Harvard men bring their slides and body swing into one motion in the stroke and separate them on the recover. Yale made an innovation last year in not rowing the oar quite in to the body; Harvard did not follow her example and opinions are somewhat divided as to the value of it. Mr. Watson-Taylor does not believe in this mode of finishing. He has watched the rowing at both Yale and Harvard for the past two seasons and on several occasions has coached the Harvard crews.

Following are the names and approximate weights of the men who are now trying for places:

FIRST CREW WEIGHT.

Stroke, Powers '92 164

7 Perkins '91, 165

6 Kelton '93, 193

5 Cummings '92, 170

4 Shaw '94, 190

3 Fitzhugh '91, 180

2 Newell '94, 165

Bow, Ellsworth '93, 160

SECOND CREW.

Stroke, Watriss '92, 165

7 Rantoul '92, 160

6 Vail '93, 180

5 Jones '92, 162

4 Miller '93, 160

3 Earle '93, 160

2 Bartholomay, L. S.

Lynam, M. S., who rowed stroke on the Bowdoin crew is trying, and until lately came out three times a week and generally rowed 6 on the first crew. He has the reputation of being a good man.

The crew of course is by no means definitely made up and changes will undoubtedly be made from time to time. It will be seen, however, that the crew as it is now made up contains three absolutely green men-two freshmen and a sophomore who never did any rowing. If the men knew how to row they ought to make a boat go pretty fast for they are all tried men in one kind of athletics or another and average something like 173 or 174 pounds per man. There is, however, no sport in which strength and bad form will make less of a show than in rowing.

The training now consists of rowing several hundred strokes a day in the rowing room with fixed seats and running up North Avenue. The crew will probably go over and try the tank pretty soon. The work is not especially hard but the men are going at it in the right spirit. One man made the remark that the candidates are showing more interest in the work than they did last year.