The First Symphony.

Last evening the Boston Symphony orchestra gave the first of their series of eight concerts in Sanders Theatre. The house was full and Mr. Nikisch was loudly applauded as he stepped upon the platform. Loefler who has recovered from his dangerous illness during the summer was back in his old place as first violin.

The concert opened with Bethoven's Symphony in F. No. 8. The first two movements were played without much spirit but the latter part of the splendid symphony was rendered brilliantly.

Mr. Elliot Hubbard was the soloist and sang "Hans Heiling." an Aria of Marschner for his first number. His voice was of a pleasant quality and moderately pleasing.

Bach's prelude arranged by Bachrich for strings was the best rendered number on the programme. The diminuendo of the Adagio in particular was exquisitely played.

Mr. Hubbard next sang Minnelied, Brahms, Am Leuchtenden Sommermorgen, Franz and Fruhligsnacht Schumaun. Mr. Nikisch played the accompaniment faultlessly as usual.

The concert ended with Shumann's overture "Genoveva" which was brilliantly played.