The Growth of the Law School.

The condition of the Law School this year is in every way most gratifying. If crowded lecture rooms are any indication of prosperity there is no doubt that the Law School this year is thriving. Every desk in the library and study room is occupied and a number of students are unable to find room to put their books. Besides this additional accommodations have been put in the lecture rooms in the way of new rows of desks and chairs, and still there is a good deal of crowding.

The increase over the number of last year's students is about 80. The entering class numbers 180. The make-up of this class is interesting as showing the source from which the Law School draws its numbers. Colleges from all over the country are represented. Of the class which graduated from the college last year about 50 men have entered the school. Brown has contributed seven graduates and Bowdoin eight. What is most gratifying of all is the number of men who come to the Law School from Yale. This year there are sixteen, of whom one graduated from the Yale Law School and took a degree in some other college. This ever increasing number of acquisitions from Yale is doing a great deal towards bringing about a closer intimacy between the two colleges.

From 1871 to 1881 when the course was a two years' one the increase in the number of students was not very large. For the ten years from '71 on, the enrollment was 113, 138, 139, 161, 187, 189, 159, 165, 156, 151. In '81 the course was lengthened to three years and the enrollment dropped to 131. Since then it has gone up steadily until last year it was 279. This year it is between 350 and 360.