Outing.

The article of chief interest to Harvard men in the November Outing is "Foot ball of 1891" by Walter Camp. A general history of the year's changes in the rules and of improvement in the game appears, the question of coaching is dwelt upon at some length, and an account is given of the development of the running game, as opposed to the kicking game. Towards the conclusion of his article, Mr. Camp indulges in a little prognostication, part of which it is worth while to quote. He says:

"The out-look for material shows that Harvard will have something the better of Yale and Princeton. Harvard will be particularly strong in the possession of such an excellent full-back as Trafford, who is not only a steady, hard punter, but a deadly drop kicker. How much the position of captain will affect his play remains to be seen, but it will have to be a serious drawback to counterbalance the work of which he has shown himself capable. The men he has under his command will enjoy that prestige which comes with victory, and the mass of college players from among whom he will draw his men to fill any gaps in his ranks is larger in point of numbers than ever before. A good part of them also have been well broken in by his predecessor, so that the labor of their development is not so appalling as that which faces either McClung of Yale or Warren of Princeton."

The reader of the above must remember two things - first, that its author, Walter Camp, is a Yale man of the Capt. Bob Cook school, and, secondly, that the article in question was probably written several weeks ago.

Other articles which Harvard men might enjoy (for we need not mention "Harry's Career at Yale," which, like Pope's snake, "drags its slow length along") are "The Running Broad Jump" by Malcolm W. Ford, and "A Plea for style in Boxing" by Wenona Gilman.