Symphony Concert.

The concert in Sanders Theatre last evening was composed almost entirely of popular selections. The first was Haydn's Symphony in D, which was one of the greatest of the symphonies of the last century, but which sounds simple and almost trivial in these days. The most enjoyable part of it was the minuet. After the Symphony, Miss Gertrude Franklin sang an aria by Massenet, which was much enjoyed by the audience. Miss Franklin's voice is not particularly pleasant in quality, yet she uses it with so much expression and intelligence that her singing is always interesting. She was heard to especially good advantage in Sanders Theatre, as in a larger hall her voice might sound forced and thin. Later in the evening Miss Franklin sang an air by Herold, with a violin obbligato played by Mr. Kneisel. This air was more florid than the other. and it was sung with remarkable purity of tone and with considerable dramatic feeling.

The other soloist of the evening was Mr. C. M. Loeffler, who played a violin concerto by Godard. His playing of the fascinating French music was thoroughly delightful, especially in the part entitled Canzonetta, where the delicate accompaniment of the orchestra and a melody for 'cello solo made a very piquant combination. The rest of the programme consisted of two movements from Cowen's Scandinavian Symphony, and Dvorak's Scherzo Cappriccioso, which were exceedingly well played. The movements by Cowen are not a very high grade of music, being descriptive and imitative in character. the last one suggesting a sleigh ride in Norway. The piece of Dvorak's, with which the concert closed, a sort of idealized waltz, showed plainly the great advance that has been made in the art of writing for orchestra since Haydn's day, and made a brilliant ending.