Foot Ball.

Harvard 51; B. A. A. 12.

Anything buttan exciting game was played on Jarvis Saturday afternoon. Brilliant plays, save by one or two men, were the exception and not the rule. '88 won the toss and choose the goal towards Oxford street. As soon as play was begun the ball was passed to Morgan, who rushed it down the field and into the hands of Porter, he in return kicking it back half the length of the field. '88 quickly made a touch-down. The ball was punted out for a fair catch and a try at goal made, which failed. A bad fumble was made by Perry, '89, followed by a fair catch by Perkins. Porter now began the series of brilliant rushes, which were the feature of the game, and was well tackled by Perry, who did not however manage to prevent the former from scoring a touch-down for '88. A goal was kicked by Woodman. The men quickly lined up in the centre of the field and after a couple of passes back and forth '89 was compelled to make a safety. A fair catch by Palmer followed, and attempts on the part of Woodman and Porter to rush the ball in were neatly stopped. The next rush of Porter's was more successful, and Woodman kicked another goal from Porter's touch-down. Once more having lined up, two plucky rushes were made by Scott for the freshmen. The third time the ball was sent to him he missed it, and Bancroft, sliding under, downed it for '88. Two good tackles of rushes by Reynolds and Porter were made by the freshmen. A couple of rushes by Porter followed, each being well stopped by Scott, but '89 was again compelled to make a safety. Scott passed to Woodbury, who made a splendid rush, and for the moment affairs brightened for '89, but Woodbury was finally downed, the breath being knocked out of him in the process. After Woodbury had recovered, the ball was sent to Perry, and from him towards '89's goal. Porter made a rush which was well tackled, and a moment later Noble scored a touch-down. The ball was punted out to Porter and by him rushed in across the line and again touched down. Try at goal failed. Churchill got the ball across the line when the referee decided there was a foul, and '89 took a free kick. Palmer made a good rush and was well stopped. Porter carried the ball outside, a freshman quickly got possession of it and was tackled by Bancroft. A fail catch by Perkins ended the first half of the game. Score, '88, 28 points; '89, 0.

The second half was opened with a rush by Woodman. Bancroft made a touch-down. Try at goal failed. Two fair catches were made by Perkins and the ball was returned to Reynolds, who passed to Porter, and the latter attempted to break through the freshman team for another touch-down, but did not succeed '88 now tried at goal from a fair catch and failed. Scott and Porter had each got in a rush when Woodman took the ball and passed to Noble, who was quickly thrown. Porter made another rush and passed to Crocker, who got a touch-down. Hallowell made a good play at this point compelling '89 to make a safety. There was now an inclination among the freshmen to brace, and for the last five minutes play was forced towards '88's goal but not near enough to cause excitement. Time was called, with the score 38 to 0 in favor of '88. Mr. Kimball, '86, was referee.

For the freshmen, Scott, Perry, Woodbury and Morgan did the best work, the latter's tackling being effective. Perkins made a number of fair catches. Of the sophomores, Porter, Woodman, Noble and Palmer are most worthy of special mention. '88 plays a good game, and with Holden on the team will possibly give '86 and '87 a hard tussle. The teams were made up as follows: '88, rushers, Bancroft, Stowell, Woodman, Churchill, Purdon, Hallowell, Crocker; quarter-back, Noble; half-backs, Porter and Palmer; full-back, Reynolds. '89, rushers, Morgan, Wardman, Agassiz, Morse, Trafford, Hunneman, Woodbury; quarter-back, Austin; half-backs. Scott and Perry; full-back, Perkins.