Republican Club Meeting.

An enthusiastic meeting was held last night in Lower Massachusetts to affect a permanent organization of the Republican Club which was recently temporarily organized. G. C. Mead, Grad., was in the chair with A. P. Stone '93, as secretary. A letter was read from Hon. Henry Cabot Lodge in which he heartily endorsed the idea of the club and offered some valuable suggestions as to its formation and general management. The reports of the committee on constitution read their report and the articles of the constitution were discussed and voted on separately. There was a good deal of discussion as to the department of the University from which the president should be chosen. Many of the men thought he should come from the Law School and a strong opposition maintained that an undergraduate should fill the office because the men in the Academic Department were greatly in the majority. It was finally decided to consider the University as a unit and elect officers regardless of standing or class.

The constitution as finally adopted was practically as follows:

Art. I. The name of this club shall be the Harvard Republican Club.

Art. II. The purpose of this club shall be to extend and strengthen Republican principles in Harvard University.

Art. III. The officers of this club shall be a president, secretary and treasurer, five vice-presidents from the Law School, five from each class and five from the University at large. The executive committee shall consist of the three executive officers and two members of the club.

IV. The duties of the officers of the club shall be the usual duties of such officers.

V. Any Republican member of the University shall be eligible to the club.

VI. The dues for each member shall be fifty cents annually.

VII. The meeting for the election of officers shall be held each year, during the first two weeks of college.

VIII. The constitution may be amended at any meeting by a two-thirds majority.

Officers for the year are as follows: President, J. L. Dodge L. S.; Secretary, R. M. Gillespie '92; Treasurer, A. P. Stone '93; Executive Committee, C. G. Morgan L. S., A. F. Cosby '94, and the three officers above mentioned.

The club will seek to carry out its purpose, to a great degree, by inviting prominent leaders of the Republican party to deliver addresses before the members at different times throughout the year.