'95, 18; Cambridge Manual, 12.

The freshmen played Cambridge Manual Training School yesterday afternoon on Jarvis, and won by one touch down and goal.

Throughout the first half the freshman played a slow, weak game and Cambridge had no difficulty in getting through and stopping the runners back of the line.

The only gains the freshmen were able to make were through the centre, Whitman bucking the line hard and generally with gain.

'95's defensive play was also weak and their opponents scored both their touch-downs by the criss-cross round Adam's and Whittren's end, the runner getting clear without difficulty although without assisting interference. Whittren when he got through almost invariably over ran his man and put himself out of the play. Adams was apt to be turned in, and did not tackle as surely as he can. In the last part of the game, however, he did better work. Wadsworth has improved greatly in his game and tackled and followed the ball well. Jackson in the second half made some good runs but showed his great fault of slowing up when with a burst of the speed of which he is capable he would have got a clear field. He also showed one of the worst faults which a half-back can show, looking back when he has clear ground ahead. He did some good dodging, however, and showed his possibilities. McNear played a fair game, doing some good blacking-off, and Whitman showed himself, as usual, steady and a good ground-gainer. Wrenn was hardly up to the game he generally plays, although he ran the team well.

The general fault of the freshmen's offensive play was the slowness of the backs on the end plays, a fault which will be fatal against a heavy team when the lightness of the '95 backs is considered. Even the Cambridge Manual got through again and again, and broke up the block before the runner got past the tackle.

The turtle-back wedge which '95 used for the first time yesterday in a game was inefficient as a general thing, the ends and backs not having learned to keep well bunched as they strike the line.

The game started '95 with the ball which they soon lost on four downs. Cambridge began gaining ground by a series of stout rushes, and with the ball on '95's twenty-five yard line worked the criss-cross and scored round their left end. Goal, Score, Cambridge, 6; '95, 0. The second touch down was a repetion of the first, making the score 12-0 against '95.

The freshmen then braced, and with a series of successful centre plays pushed the ball over the line. Score, Cambridge, 12,'95, 6.

When play was resumed the freshmen played sharp and succeeded in scoring twice before the game was called on account of sharply darkness. The men lined up as follows:

HARVARD '95. C. M. T. S.

Wadsworth, (left-end) Eaton.

Pierce, (left-tackle) Richards.

Eddy, (left-guard) Scotton.

Potter, (centre) Wiseman.

Murchie, (right-guard) Allyn.

Whittren, (right-tackle) Vaughn.

Adams, (right-end) Goss.

Wrenn, (quarter-back) Manning.

McNear, (half-backs) Pullen.

Jackson, (half-backs) Whittemore

Whitman, (full-back) Moore.

Referee, Forbes '92; Umpire, Gray '92.