Rev. Thomas Hill Dead.

The Rev. Thomas Hill, D. D., L.L. D., S. T. D., president of Harvard University from 1862 'to 1868, died at the residence of his daughter in Waltham, Saturday morning. The funeral services will be held at the Unitarian Church in Waltham Tuesday afternoon at 2.30. Dr. Peabody will officiate, assisted by the Rev. Dr. E. J. Young of Waltham, and the Rev. Mr. Perkins of Portland, Me.

Dr. Hill was born in New Brunswick, N. J., Jan. 7, 1818. His father was a tanner, and at one time served as judge of the court of common pleas. Dr. Hill was left an orphan at a very early age, and his success in after life was due entirely to his own efforts. When twelve years old he was apprenticed to a printer for three years. After he had served his term, he attended the Lower Dublin Academy near Philadelphia for a year, and then was apprenticed to an apothecary in New Brunswick for another twelvemonth. In 1839 he entered Harvard and graduated in the class of 1843. In 1845, after two years at the Divinity School, he became pastor of the Unitarian Church in Waltham, where he worked for fourteen years, much be loved by his parishioners. In 1859 he accepted the offer of the presidency of Antioch College in Ohio, to succeed Horace Mann. While president of Antioch he also performed the duties of pastor of the Church of the Redeemer in Cincinnati. On Feb. 26, 1862, Dr. Felton died, and on Oct. 6 Dr. Hill succeeded him as president of the University. He served until Sept. 30, 1868, when he was obliged by illness to resign. He returned to Waltham, which town he represented in the Legislature of 1871. Later he accompanied Professor Louis Agassiz on the coast surveying expedition to South America. On his return he accepted the pastorship of the First Unitarian Church in Portland, Me., and this position he held until his death.

Dr. Hill was remarkable for the breadth of his interests, and for the great originality of his mind. Wherever he went, his influence and aid helped on whatever undertaking made for the good of the society about him. He was a natural mathematician, and distinguished for great originality and fertility in the investigation of curves, adding to their known number and simplifying their expression. He was a voluminous writer, and much of his work may be found scattered in the periodicals, especially in those devoted to mathematics and theology. Many of the modern tendencies at Harvard took their rise during Dr. Hill's term of office. He may be looked upon almost as the father of the elective system, and the first changes towards freer choice in the course of study were made while he was president. He also furthered the modern practice of setting sight passages and original problems on examination papers.

Dr. Hill delivered addresses before the Phi Beta Kappa Society at Harvard on "Liberal Education" (1858), and on "The Opportunities of Life" at Antioch (1860). He edited Eberty's "The Stars and the Earth" (1849), and published "Christmas, and Poems on Slavery" (1843), "Geometry and Faith" (1849), "First Lessons in Geometry" (1854), "Second Book In Geometry" (1862), "Jesus, the Interpreter of Nature, and Other Sermons" (1859), "Practical Arithmetic" (1881), and contributions to numerous periodicals, mathematical and astronomical journals, and religious newspapers.