Soldiers' Field.

Professor J. W. White in an address last evening explained carefully and in detail the plans for the Soldiers' Field.

In 1888 the engineer who was first put to work on the field reported that the cost of filling each acre - there being from 80 to 100 - by the ordinary method would be $4,000 per acre. For $60,000 the grounds could have been dyked, but that was impracticable. So that the remaining acres will be filled in gradually by refuse and ashes.

Mr. Alexander Agassiz has lately given much time to the field, and six plans, which are only provisional have been drawn up. These plans will be printed later, and copies will be sent to graduates and may be obtained by undergraduates. Appeals will be made to the graduates to raise the necessary sum of $50,000 for carrying out these plans.

The city of Boston purposes to run a road along the river bank through the field, crossing the river near Mt. Auburn Cemetery. On the river side of the road will be the boat house, and on the other the field, with its main entrance opposite the house.

The grounds will extend 1000 feet, with a width of 900, with the base ball diamond nearest the road and the foot ball field next, though for certain reasons this order may be reversed. The diamond will be surrounded by a half circle of seats. The foot ball field - 500 ft. by 250, - with seats on both sides, will be surrounded by a quarter-mile track, with the 220 yds. on one side. The space on each side toward No. Harvard St. and the river will be used for practice, tennis courts, etc.

The boat house is 100 ft. square. The first floor, given up to boating purposes, will have a piazza on the side toward the river and a walk about the other sides. At one end will be the repair shop and a part of the floor will be used for the boats. On the river end will be five departments for the 'varsity and class crews with baths between. The second floor has a balcony on the outside, 800 lockers in the middle with dressing rooms and baths on the sides.

The old homestead in another part of the field can be made to do excellent service as a club house.

When the prints of the six provisional plans come out, it is hoped and requested that any man who has any suggestion to make as to the alterations or additions will make them, in writing, to Professor White.