Western Club.

A small but enthusiastic meeting of western men was held at 13 Matthews Saturday evening. The evening was spent in discussing various phases of the relations of Harvard college to the west. Most persons present thought that Harvard, though quite well known in a general way, in the west suffers much from various prejudices arising from ignorance, and from malicious misrepresentation by the newspapers. Many amusing stories were told of trivial pranks at Harvard swelled into monstrous crimes by western newspapers.

The club resolved to enlarge its boundaries so as to include Minnesota and all the states and territories west of the Mississippi and outside Missouri Arkansas, Texas, and California. The number of students from this region is only about fifty and in the majority of cases men from the distant and sparsely setted countries do not know a single soul at Harvard college, are ignorant of the habits and manners of the east, and frequently for the first year or two feel estranged from the whole world. An organization to welcome such men to Harvard and put them at their ease can do much goed. This is what the western club purposes to do.