Samuel Dexter, 2nd.

Samuel Dexter, 2nd, of the class of 1890, died near Seneca Lake, New York, on Wednesday, November 18, 1891; and was buried from Trinity Church, Boston, Monday, November 23.

The death of Dexter will be most keenly felt by the members of the class of '90 among whom he was very highly esteemed. He entered college with a large circle of acquaintances among Harvard men, and during his course made many warm friends who now morn his loss.

Samuel Dexter, 2nd, was a native of Boston where he prepared for college. He attended Hopkinson's School for several years, whence he entered Harvard in the fall of 1886. He at once gained an enviable position both in scholarship and in a social way. He was a diligent student, interested moreover, in a multitude of subjects outside of his studies; and his collegiate standing was excellent.

In a social way he was well-known, being an early member of the Institute of 1770, of the Hasty Pudding and Delta Phi Clubs. After graduation, he gave himself up to business in Boston. His health became unsettled and early in the autumn he went to a health resort near Seneca Lake, N. Y., where he died.

Though Dexter was well-known, and liked by a large number of his class-mates, he led a very quiet life at college. His nature was not such as to form many intimate acquaintances; and it was reserved, therefore, for the few warm friends who knew him well to realize the wonderful depth and beauty of his character.