The Cosmopolitan.

The February number of the Cosmopolitan opens with a new story by Count Tolstoi called "Nikolai Palkin." It is illustrated by various portraits of the author, one representing "Tolstoi the laborer in the fields."

The number is particularly fertile in portraits serving to illustrate also three other articles; one by ExPostmaster General Thomas L. James on the Welsh in the United States; one by C. B. Moore on "Amateur Portraiture in Photography;" one by H. De Barry on "Prince Talleyrand and his Memoirs" and one by William Pole on an episode connected with the life of the composer Mozart.

Architecture also receives its due share of attention. An illustrated article is devoted to the Renaissance castles in Touraine, sculptured and turreted and haunted with memories of Agnes Sorel, Diane de Poitiers, Anne de Bretagne, etc. Then a wide step across the Atlantic takes one to far-off Milwaukee where the "Wes tern Mansion" of the late Emil Schandein furnishes the subject for a description by George H. Yenowine. The house is very large, architecturally German renaissance and is considered one of the sights of the "blonde city of the lakes."

Miss Jeannette Gilder of the Critic contributes a short sketch of an American princess, the wife of Prince Lucien Murat who sought refuge in this country and settled in Bordentown, New Jersey, that home of expelled Bonapartes.

For those who wish to know how to win at poher, faro, roulette, and various other games of chance or skill, an article is contributed on "Gambling Sharps and their Tools." Of quite a different character is the Marquise Clara Lanza's "Women Clerks in New York."

Fiction by no means predominates in this number. Besides Tolstoi's story there is one by E. H. Crosby called "The Professor's Daughter" and an installment of the serial "Mademoiselle Reseda," illustrated by McVickar, with whose types the editor's Drawer of Harper's has made us familiar. These with a few verses go to make up the number.