Challenge from Yale Freshmen.

At a well attended meeting of the freshman class of Yale Tuesday evening, a unanimous vote was taken to challenge the Harvard freshmen to a boat race, and the following letter was sent, which was received yesterday:

To President Harvard Freshman Boat Club, care of Capt. Perkins, Harvard Boat Club:

The freshman class of Yale University hereby challenge the freshman class of Harvard University to an eight-oared shell race, two miles straight away, during the last two weeks of June, 1891, day and place to be agreed upon hereafter. It is requested that immediate action be taken upon this, as Yale must make other arrangements in case the challenge is declined.

CALVIN BURR, Pres. Yale Freshman Navy.As is very well known the Yale freshmen have sent similar challenges for several years which have all been refused because Harvard objected to rowing a three-cornered race or two races or giving up the Columbia race.

In 1886 the Harvard, Yale and Columbia freshmen rowed a three-cornered race in which the Yale Freshmen, getting into the roughest water, sank, and the Harvard crew won with some ease over Columbia. The fact that one crew sank gave rise to the opinion that the course was unfair for three crews. Whether this opinion is still prevalent is hard to say. The Harvard boat club is considering the challenge and will reply in a few days. A challenge has already been sent by our freshmen to the Columbia freshmen.