More About University Extension.

The account of the plan for University Extension at Harvard, which appeared in Saturday's DAILY CRIMSON, has awakened much interest in the college. The time seems ripe for such an undertaking. In fact a general American "Society for University and School Extension" is already in existence. The officers for the year, among whom will be recognized several of the best known and broadest minded educators in the country are: President, Rev. Timothy Dwight, D. D.; Executive Committee, the President ex officio, Rev. Francis L. Patton, D. D., Dr. Seth Low, W. A. Calkins, Dr. W. T. Harris, and Seth R. Stewart, general secretary; the officers of the Board of Trustees: President, James W. Alexander, Yale '60; Vice-Presidents, Chauncey M. Depew, Charles S. Fairchild, and W. B. Cutting, Treasurer, George T. Peabody; Secretary, Matthew J. Elgas. The aim of the society is to give those who cannot afford either the time or the expense required by a college life, the advantages of a thorough education in any branch taught at colleges. Classes are to be formed, lecture courses given, and provision made for correspondence with prominent instructors. Syllabuses will from time to time be issued, to be used in connection with prescribed textbooks. Certificates and diplomas will be given to those who complete any prescribed course and pass a satisfactory examination. The only conditions of membership in the society are willingness to work, and the payment of a small registration fee. The plan thus affords the advantages of a scheme like the Chatauquan, worked by a corps of professional and well qualified instructors.

The society is yet in its infancy, and its plans are larger at present than its resources. One certificate has, however, already been issued. It was given to a woman, a Miss Sanders, for proficiency in astronomy. Her examination paper is said to have been remarkably excellent.

The plan which was outlined in Saturday's DAILY CRIMSON is not, then, the only one of its kind in America. It has, however, the advantage of definite, well limited aims, and of great practicability. It comes at the right time, and the interest in it will not be allowed to slacken until it is an assured success.