American School at Athens.

The annual report of the American School at Athens which is carried on under the auspices of the American Archaeological Institute of America has just come out. The school has a peculiar interest for Harvard since its organization was largely due to the energy of Professors J. W. White, Norton, Goodwin and others connected with the University. The report is submitted by Dr. Charles Waldstein Ph. D., Litt. D., L. H. D., permanent director, and Professor S. Stanhope Orris, Ph. D., L. H. D., annual director, and gives as encouraging an outlook as could be expected. The object of the school is to furnish an opportunity to study Classical Literature, Art, and Antiquities in Athens, under suitable guidance, to graduates of American colleges and to other qualified students; to prosecute and to aid original research in these subjects; and to cooperate with the Archaeological Institute of America, so far as it may be able, in conducting the exploration and excavation of classic sites.

The attempt to obtain the site of Delphi for excavations has been fruitless as the French claims have proved to be founded upon better grounds than was at first supposed, but the school has carried on a series of original investigations and has obtained a number of interesting and valuable discoveries at Platea.

At an international conference called to decide upon the validity of Captain Bolticher's attack upon Dr. Schliemann's theory of the ruins at Hissarlik Dr. Waldstein represented the school and was largely instrumental in obtaining the verdict of the conference, namely the upholding of Schliemann's views.

The advantages of the school are offered free of expense for tuition to graduates of the colleges co-operating in its support, and to other American students who are deemed by the committee of sufficient promise to warrant the extension to them of the privilege of membership. It is hoped that the Archaeological Institute may in time be supplied with the means of establishing scholarships, which will aid some members in defraying their expenses at the school. In the mean time students must rely upon their own resources, or upon scholarships which may be granted them by the colleges to which they belong. The amount needed for the expenses of an eight months' residence in Athens differs little from that required in other European capitals, and depends chiefly on the economy of the individual.

American students resident or travelling in Greece who are not regular members of the school may, at the discretion of the Director, be enrolled as special students, and enjoy the privileges of the school.

Students who propose to take a course in the school are advised to make themselves familiar with French and German.

Details of expenses are given in the report, and for further information Harvard men will find Professor J. W. White more than willing to give full particulars.