March Century.

The Century bill-of-fare for March is varied enough to suit the most captious magazine reader. Unusually entertaining is the third installment of the famous Talleyrand Memoirs, containing, as it does, comments on the luxury and vice of Napoleon's court, which derive a peculiar flavor, coming, as they do, from the pen of Talley-rand.

The frontispiece of the number is a new portrait of Bryant without the familiar beard. This is from an old daguerreotype, and is printed in connection with a historical and illustrated article on the old and well-known Century Club of New York City. The portraits of past and present officers and pictures of the club-house are given.

"General Crook in the Indian Country," by Captain John G. Bourke, derives timely interest from the present Indian troubles. It has been profusely illustrated by Frederic Remington.

Lieutenant Horace Carpenter of New Orleans, in his entertaining article on "Plain Living at Johnson's Island," describes the hardships, from the point of view of a Confederate prisoner, of a sojourn in the war prison in Lake Erie, near Sandusky. Only officers were confined on Johnson's Island; and according to Lieutenant Carpenter they were for months at the mercy of hunger and freezing weather.

The California series this month takes up the Fremont explorations, first with a brief paper giving a resume of the five explorations; second, with a paper by Mrs. Fremont on the "Origin of the Fremont Explorations"; and third, with a posthumous narrative of the terrible experiences of the fourth expedition under the title of "Rough Times in Rough Places."

To the department of "Californiana" Professor Royce contributes some new documents on the Bear Flag affair taken from the private papers of Commander John B. Montgomery of the Portsmouth, stationed at San Fracnisco during the conquest of California.

There are but three poems in this number, the sonnet by Celia Thaxter on "Moonlight" being exceptionally exquisite. In the "Bric-a-Brac," perhaps the daintiest verses are "To Her Quill Pen," by Frederic A. Stokes.