How the Colleges Voted.

Since yesterday's publication some of the details of the Intercollegiate Athletic Association meeting have been learned. Among other things it is interesting to note the way that the different colleges voted on the questions proposed. The motion to distribute the balance evenly among the different colleges represented, was carried unanimously. This was also the case with the appropriation of $50 to purchase flags for Harvard. The question of introducing the 56 pound weight was proposed by McNally, a six-footer from St. Johns College, and the motion was lost unanimously with the exception of the mover's vote. When the matter of introducing a two mile safety bicycle race was brought up, the roll was first called to see how many colleges had such an event in their meetings, and then a vote was taken. There were twelve colleges present and the motion was defeated by a vote of 9 to 3. The two colleges that stood by Harvard in favor of the change were Cornell and Amherst. Yale, Princeton and the others voted against it. In the next motion to allow safeties to race with ordinary bicycles, Harvard gained a few more supporters but not enough to carry the motion. The question of the tug-of-war, like that of the safeties, meant a change in the constitution, and required, therefore, a two-thirds vote. This meant that in order to abolish the tug-of-war the motion would have to be carried by a vote of 8 to 4. The vote was 8 to 4, but in favor of keeping the tug-of-war. The three larger colleges, Yale, Princeton and Harvard, besides Amherst, voted for its abolition.

Now that the tug of war is inevitable, Harvard will see what she can do in the way of getting up a team. There may be plenty of material in the college, but there is practically no interest in the sport. Whether or not the H. A. A. will try to arouse such an interest by introducing the tug-of-war into the winter meetings remains to be seen.