Harvard 2; Worcester 6.

The Worcester nine had their revenge yesterday for the defeat which they sustained here a week ago Saturday. Connie Murphy struck out four times on that occasion and resolved to get even. Consequently he came in yesterday from the out-field to the pitcher's box. Though he struck out only four men he succeeded in preventing the Harvard team from hitting safely more than twice. Sullivan pitched the first inning, and one hit was made off his delivery. These three hits were all our nine could make, try how they would. But the chief fault in their play, or at any rate, one more easily corrected, was the wretched base running. Our men know how to steal bases better than most college nines, but this knowledge should not make them foolhardy, as it certainly seems to do. In the first inning Trafford got out at second on a daring attempt to steal when only one man was out. In the sixth inning, again, with no one out Hallowell made a good steal of second, and, not content with this, tried to make third at the same time, and was thrown out. In the eighth Hovey was caught at the plate. In the ninth Cook was badly coached from first to second, and was easily retired. Altogether, seven Harvard men were thrown out on bases.

Yesterday's defeat was then largely the fault of the nine; perhaps it was even more the fault of the umpire. At a critical moment he called a pretty, perfectly fair hit of Howe's a foul. He allowed Murphy to score when it was perfectly evident to almost every one else on the grounds that he was out at the plate. His judgment of balls and strikes was also bad. The field, moreover, was as bad as the umpire. The attendance was small.

In the first inning the Worcester men went out in one, two, three order. After Lynch and Bird had been retired, O'Brien knocked a very hot liner to Cook, who reached out for it with one hand and stopped it prettily, throwing it to first in time to cut off the runner. The first two men who went to the bat for Harvard scored. The nine started to work with a vim, and no one would have guessed that these were the only runs we were destined to make during the game. Soule took his base on balls and stole second. Hallowell hit cleanly to centre and Soule took third. Hallowell stole second. Hovey sacrificed, bringing Soule in and advancing Hallowell to third. Trafford knocked a grounder to Parks, who fumbled it, and thus let Hallowell come home. In trying to steal second Trafford was thrown out, and Frothingham went out on a grounder to the infield.

Parks led off for Worcester in the second inning with a two-bagger to left field. Moore was hit by a pitched ball. It looked as if Worcester would score, but Lezott struck out, McGrath fouled out to Trafford, and Hayes went out on an infield grounder. Murphy, who had previously been umpiring, now amiably exchanged places with Sullivan, who had been pitching, and Harvard men went out in one, two, three order.

In the third inning, after Murphy had flied out, Lynch made a safe hit and got to third on a wild pitch. Bird knocked a high foul to Alward who muffed it. Then Bird made another hit in the same direction, but inside the line, and Lynch came home. Bird took second on O'Brien's sacrifice, and scored on a passed ball and error by Trafford. Parks got his base on balls and Moore hit safely. Lezott sent a long fly to centre which looked safe, but Hallowell caught it prettily and the side was out. For Harvard, Bates reached third on a base on balls, a wild pitch and Soule's sacrifice. Hallowell also got his base on balls and stole second. It looked like a run, but Hovey flied out, Trafford struck out, and Bates and Hallowell were left.

In the fourth Worcester failed to score. The first three Harvard men at the bat went out. In the fifth Howe took Bates' place in the box. Worcester made a run on a base on balls, a hit, a wild pitch and Howe's muff at the plate of Cobb's throw. Again Harvard's first three men went out, two of them at second base.

In the sixth Worcester added three runs to her score. Murphy got his base on balls, was forced to second by Lynch, whom Howe hit, took third on Howe's fumble of Bird's easy grounder and reached the plate on O'Brien's sacrifice. That is, the umpire said he did. Everybody else thought differently. Lynch, who had mean while reached third, came in on Hovey's wild throw to the plate. A wild throw by Cobb enabled Bird also to score. This ended the runs for the game. In the eighth, with one man out, O'Brien hit safely. Parks followed with a very hot liner to Hovey, who stopped it beautifully and with the aid of Soule and Trafford retired both O'Brien and Parks. This was decidedly the play of the game. Harvard had her last chance for another run in this inning. Hovey reached third on Parks' fumble of his grounder, Trafford's sacrifice, and Frothingham's base hit, but was thrown out at the plate.

WORCESTER.a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Lynch, c. f., 3 2 1 1 0 1 2 0

Bird, r. f., 5 2 1 1 0 1 0 0

O'Brien, 1b., 5 0 1 1 2 9 3 0

Parks, 3b., 3 1 1 2 0 2 2 3

Moore, 2b., 4 0 2 2 0 3 2 0

Lezott, l. f., 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

McGrath, s. s., 4 0 1 1 0 2 0 0

Hayes, c., 4 0 0 0 1 6 2 1

Sullivan, p. 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0

Murphy, p. 3 1 0 0 0 3 8 0

Totals, 36 6 7 8 3 27 20 4

HARVARD.a.b. r. b.h. t.b. s.h. p.o. a. e.

Soule, 2b., 3 1 0 0 1 3 4 1

Hallowell, c. f., 3 1 2 2 0 2 0 0

Hovey, s. s., 4 0 0 0 1 2 4 1

Trafford, 1b., 3 0 0 0 1 13 0 1

Frothingham, r. f. 4 0 1 1 0 1 0 0

Alward, l. f., 4 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

Cook, 3b., 3 0 0 0 0 2 0 0

Cobb, c., 3 0 0 0 0 4 1 1

Bates, p., 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 1

Howe, p., 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 2

Totals, 28 2 3 3 3 27 17 8

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Worcester, 0 0 2 0 1 3 0 0 0-6

Harvard, 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-2

Two Base hit, Parks. First base on balls, Soule, Hallowell, Trafford, Cook, Cobb, Bates, Howe, Lynch, Parks (2), McGrath, Murphy. Struck out, Howe, Trafford, Cobb (2), Lezott (2), McGrath (2). First base on errors, Harvard 3, Worcester 4. Stolen bases, Sould, Hallowell (3), McGrath (2). Passed ball, Cobb. Wild pitches, Bates, Howe, Murphy. Double plays, Hovey, Soule and Trafford. Out on bases, Harvard 6, Worcester 2. Left on bases, Harvard 6, Worcester 10. Time, 2 hours. Umpire, Sullivan and Murphy.