Rowing Matters.

What the 'Varsity and Class Crews are Doing.

For several days H. W. Keyes '87, has been on the launch with C. F. Adams, L. S., encouraging the 'varsity by his presence and suggestions. Saturday the launch stranded and Adams coached from the boat, serving as coxswain. The order of the men has been changed and is liable to be changed a good deal yet. Other men may be placed in the boat. The order Saturday was as follows: Stroke, Perkins '91; 7, Kelton '93; 6, Vail '93; 5, Cummings '93; 4, Lynam M. S.; 3, Rantoul '92; 2, Powers '92; bow, Newell '94.

Stroke rows smoothly and uses his legs well, but needs to apply more vigor at both ends of the stroke, and slow his slide a little; 7 rows very roughly, meeting his oar and finishing badly; 6, shoves out, does not control his slide, lifts the boat and does not feather; 5 swings in a circle, does not control his slide, is slow and weak at the catch, jerks his arms into his body, slow in getting his arms away and is ineffective in making the boat go ahead; 4 is apt to lose control of his slide on the stroke and the recover, gets his arms away slowly; 3 does not row effectively, he is slow and weak in the first part of the stroke and does not control his slide at any part of the stroke; 2 feathers under water, rows short in the stroke and does not use his legs evenly and well; bow is very slow at both ends of the stroke and does not control his slide. Nearly all the men are slower than stroke at the catch and row shorter. No man rows like the man in front of him.

Longworth and Cumnock of the '91 crew are still unable to row.

Watriss has again taken his position at stroke of the '92 crew. Jones rows 7, Steedman 6, Stearns 5, Porter 4, Heard 3, Hubbard 2, Weed bow.

The '93 crew has not been rowing nearly as well for the last few days. Their body work was at one time the best of the class crews, but it ranks no better than third at present.

The freshmen have just received their new shell and will probably use it today for the first time. The men are not rowing quite so well together as they were ten days ago. They seem unable to carry through the stroke with the proper steadiness. They apply the most of their strength at the weakest parts of the stroke.