Adelbert Shaw, '94.

A sad and almost incredible piece of news meets the students this morning. Adelbert Shaw, the great, strong athlete of the freshman class, was drowned while rowing on the river Monday afternoon. The story of the accident is a very uncertain one, and can at best only be surmised. Shaw went down to the boat house with the rest of the crew Monday afternoon, and as the barge was full Captain Perkins decided to let him go out in a single, first making sure that he could manage it, and that he knew how to swim. The crew rowed down to the basin, and Shaw, after rowing about for some time in front of the boat house, followed them. It was just below the Western Avenue bridge that the accident happened. Whether the shell struck on a sunken pile and capsized, dragging Shaw under by the toe straps, or whether Shaw, finding the boat tipping, jumped, and owing to his heated condition was seized with the cramp, it is hardly possible to say. The latter conjecture is perhaps more probable as the boat was found right side up with the sliding seat still in it. Several of the students dragged the river till one o'clock Monday night when they waited till four for a police boat from Boston. At half-past six in the morning the body was found.

Too much cannot be said of Shaw. In every way he was one of the most promising men in college. Every one knows how hard he worked for the football team last fall. His faithful, persevering work resulted in his getting on the freshman team, and he was looked forward to as a strong man for the 'varsity next year. He was also doing excellent work with the crew. In his college work he was always guided by a high ambition to obtain a noble ideal. His scholarship was of a very high grade, especially for a man so occupied with other things. Beside the time spent on his athletics, he was working his way through college.

Such a character of ambition and sturdy perseverence contained a beautiful and tender side as well. Not only will the appearance of Shaw's well-built figure and noble face be deeply missed, but also his kind smile and pleasant companionship, which all who knew him loved and treasured.

Captain Perkins went on to Shaw's home in Fishkill, N. Y., to break the news to his parents. He returned last evening, and at midnight went back with the body.