Mass Meeting.

Action of the University on the Death of Adelbert Shaw.

Holden Chapel was crowded to its utmost capacity yesterday afternoon at half past one o'clock when the students met to take some action on the death of Adelbert Shaw. The meeting was called to order by A. J. Cumnock '91, who called upon P. D. Trafford, L. S., to read a letter which the committee which called the meeting had prepared to send to Shaw's family. The letter was as follows:

Mr. George Shaw:

DEAR SIR-We who were intimate friends and admirers of your son Adelbert, want to express to you and your family the deep grief felt by the University on account of his untimely death.

He came among us an entire stranger, yet in these few months he has become known to us all. He immediately entered into our work and our interests with that vigor, determination and perfect strength which always characterized him. We first admired his courage and perseverance on the football field. These qualities, with quick intelligence and extraordinary zeal in his college work, gave him one of the fore-most places in his class as a student. Whole-souled, sunny tempered and manly, he won the hearts of all. From admirers we became his friends. We felt sure that while he was here he would strengthen and elevate our student life, and that when he left us he would reflect credit on Harvard.

The loss of such a noble character casts a shadow over the whole University, and makes us sympathize with your grief more than this letter can express.

For the University,

P. D. TRAFFORD, L. S, NELSON PERKINS, 91.A. J. CUMNOCK, 91, NEAL RANTOUL, 92, B. W. TRAFFORD, 93.