Harvard 85 Points; Yale 27.

Harvard Wins 12 out 14 Events.

"Luck," which, from frequent favoring of Yale, is usually connected with the name of that college seemed on Saturday to have entirely abandoned her old favorite. Harvard won all she expected to win, and more too. Hawes took the hundred yards dash from the great Sherrill. Thelow hurdle race actually gave Harvard first and second places, and Yale lost both the half mile and the mile runs.

The superiority in training of Harvard over Yale was very noticeable, and a great many of Harvard's points are due to Mr. Lathrop. The first track event was the 120 yds. high hurdle race. Two Yale men, H. L. Williams and A. L. Reynolds, ran against one Harvard man, K. Brown, in the first heat. Brown tipped over a hurdle and stopped running. Williams won the heat in 17 3 5 seconds. Fearing won the second heat in good form from Van Ingen and D. B. Lynam of Yale, in 16 4-5 seconds. The final heat, run after the mile walk, was a beautiful race between. Williams and Fearing. Williams was obliged to work hard but managed to take first with Fearing a close second, and Van Ingen of Yale third. The time was sixteen seconds, equalling the world's record.

The hammer throwing was wonderfully good. Finlay made six throws; the first 102 feet, 6 in., the second 103 ft., 2 in., the third 105 ft., 4 1-2 in., the fourth 106 ft., 8 in., the fifth 107 ft., 5 in. This throwing beats the former American record of 108 ft., 3 in., held by Coudon of the N. Y. C. A. As this game is not practiced in England, Harvard now holds the world's record in hammer throwing without a run. Evins of Harvard took second place with a throw of 96 ft., 4 in., Elcock of Yale third.

The 100 yds. dash, trial heats, were won by Hawes of Harvard with Jones of Yale second; and by Sherrill of Yale, over Lasell of Yale. In the fiual heat, just before the 440 yds. dash, Hawes had to run against three Yale men. Jones, who started with his hands on the ground, slipped, and did not attempt to run. Hawes ran a strong race and beat Sherrill. The crowd was wonderfully enthusiastic at this, considering that they were now pretty well soaked by a hard rain. Sherrill is said to have broken a tendon in his leg in his attemps to come in first. The time of this race was only 10 3-5 sec., as the track was very wet. Lasell won third place. The two preliminary heats in the 2 mile bicycle race were each ridden by two Harvard men against one Yale man. In the first, Davis and O. B. Hawes of Harvard, and W. B. Wade of Yale, did very slow work as nobody wanted to set the pace. The time for the first quarter was 1 min, 12 sec. The men started along at last and the heat was won by Davis in 6 min., 57 4-4 sec., with Hawes second. The second heat was won by Taylor in 6 min., 18 1-2 seconds., with Pratt second. This left none but Harvard men in the final heat, which was won by Taylor in 6 min., 14 sec., Davis second and Hawes third.

The mile walk was contested by Hale, Endicott, Brackett and Bardeen of Harvard, and S. H. Bunnell of Yale. The Harvard men were all considerably ahead of Yale before the race was half over. Hale took first place in 7 min., 14 2-5 sec., with Endicott second and Brackett third. Bardeen managed to leae last place to Yale without any trouble. The 440 yards dash was a remarkably good race. Wright of Harvard showed beautiful form, taking first place in 52 sec., which was very fair time with so wet a footing. As the other men neared the last turn, Mullins of Harvard began pulling up steadily on the other men, and he finally passed all but Wright and finished a good second, Jones of Yale being thereby relegated to third place.

When the four Yale and three Harvard men started on a mile run the rain was driving hard, and the men were also begrimed with mud which was splashed up from the track. There was considerable uncertainty about this race, as Ellsworth of Yale was almost an unknown quantity. He had done well last year and it was rumored that he had had much harder training this year than ever before. Nichols and Carr set a very hot pace and Nichols plowed through the mud in the fast time of 4 min., 35 4-5 sec., taking first place. Ellsworth took second place, although Carr, who won third, made him run pretty hard for it. Lowell, who, after his fine work in the University games two weeks ago, was expected to beat both Nichols and Carr, showed plainly that the track was too heavy for him. He ran himself out, falling across the line onto the ground.

This run was followed by the two trial heats in the 220 yd. low hurdle race. The first was practically won by J. P. Lee who trotted down the track in 29 2-5 seconds, looking around sometimes to see the two Yale men, Van Ingen and Pearce. William of Yale took the second heat in 26 1-5 sec., with Fearing second. The final heat, which came after the half mile run, was exciting. Lee first took a lead of several feet over Williams, but when the race was nearly half over Williams began to work harder and seemed, to those spectators who were opposite the men at that spot, to be in a fair way to win the race. Lee kept his lead, however. At about the eighth hurdle either Williams struck Lee, or Lee Williams. Williams was stopped some by it and he was passed by Fearing at about the last hurdle and had to take third place. The time was 25 2-5 seconds, which is only three-twentieths of a second from the world's record, and the track was very heavy yesterday by the time this race was run.

The 220 yards dash was to have been run with tral heats, but so few of the men were ready to start that it was found that one heat was enough. Sherrill didn't run and all three places in the event went to Harvard. Cook won in the fast time of 22 2-5 seconds, with Hawes second and Thompson third.

The half mile run was one of the finest races of the afternoon. Wright of Harvard, who had previously won the quarter mile, ran in this, and the three other Harvard men were A. M. White, Batchelder and Corbin. The first lap was run in one minute and two seconds, when white began a quarter mile spurt, making the second lap in 59 3-5 seconds, and finished the race strongly in 2 minutes, 1 3-5 seconds. Wright of Yale took second place with Batchelder of Harvard third.

The pole vaulting was long and tedious, lasting from about quarter to three until about six o'clock, but Yale did not take all three places as it was rumored she would do. Sherwin and Wheelwright were the Harvard men in this event, and Briggs, Cartwright and Ryder the Yale. After vaulting a short time the water was so deep in front of the bar that it was almost impossible for the men to get any foothold. Spades were produced, ditches dug, the water swept into the latter, and cinders strewn in front of the bar until artificial ground had been made for the vaulting to proceed. Ryder of Yale dropped out of the competition when the bar was about 9 ft. 4 in. high Both the remaining Yale men and both the Harvard men did 9 ft. 6 in. The bar was then put up to 9 ft. 10 in., but the poles were so slippery and the conditions so bad that not one of the four could clear the bar, although Sherwin once came very near doing it. The eight points due to first, second and third were divided evenly among the four men. The first and third place medals went, by matching to Yale and second prize went to Harvard.

Harvard won first place in the shot by a put of Finlay's of forty feet. Elcock of Yale was second and Evins of Harvard third.

The running broad jump was dangerously near another Harvard event. Williams, J. C. Hammond and A. L. Reynolds were in the contest for Yale, and Bloss and J. Hale were the Harvard men. Williams' best jump was 21 ft. 1 in., and Bloss was a very good second with a jump of 21 feet. Hale took third place with 20 ft. 10 in.

It was so wet on the field by this time that the officials decided that the running high jump had better be contested in the Carey Building. There was only one Yale man in this and he failed to take a place. Fearing and Green had several ties and at last matched for first place, which went to Green. Chaney of Harvard took third place.

Following is a summary of events with the divisions of points in each between the two colleges:

HARYALE. VARD.

120 yards hurdle, 6 2

100 yards dash, 3 5

440 yards dash, 1 7

220 yards hurdle. 1 7

Half mile run, 2 6

One mile run, 2 6

Throwing the hammer, 1 7

Pole vault, 4 4

Putting the shot, 2 6

Running broad jump, 5 3

220 yards dash, 0 8

Two mile bicycle race, 0 8

One mile walk, 0 8

Running high jump, 0 8

Totals, 27 85