The Intersholastic Athletic Association.

The Interscholastic Athletic Association of New England holds its sixth annual out door meeting on Holmes Field tomorrow afternoon. As this association was started by Harvard men it may be of interest to look back at its history and trace its growth.

It had its origin in an Interscholastic Athletic Association which was formed during the winter or 1885-86, between Hopkinson's School, The Roxbury Latin School and St. Mark's. This association held three meetings, two at Southboro' in 1886 and 1888, and one in Boston in 1887. Roxbury won two and Hopkinson one.

By the resignation of St. Mark's, however, in the winter of 1888-89, the association was left with but two schools in it, and the prospect of future success was not bright. At this juncture several Harvard men came forward, noticeably G. S. Mandell '89, then captain of the Mott Haven team, and R. S. Hale '91, one of the formers of the original association. and reorganized the association on a larger scale. Money was raised for a cup, the association was made really representative of the New England schools, and in the spring of 1889 the first meeting of the new association took place on Holmes Field. This meeting was great success in every way, and was won by Worcester Academy, with Roxbury Latin second. During the next winter an indoor meeting was held in the Mechanics Building, under the auspices of the B. A. A., at which Roxbury Latin took first place and Hopkinson second, and last spring a second most successful meeting was held on Holmes Field, at which Hopkinson's won first place with Worcester Academy and Roxbury Latin second. Again during the past winter a most successful indoor meeting was held.

This year Exeter and Andover are added to the already long list of schools belonging to the association, and the entry list for tomorrow's games numbers 675, which is greater than that of the intercollegiate games last Saturday.

Some of the records of the association are extremely good, as 21ft. 6in. in the running broad jump, 10 2.5 sec. in the 100 yards dash, and 10 ft. 1 1-2 in. in the pole vault, so that it is evident that the competition is sharp and good work may be expected.

But the chief usefulness of the association is to prepare athletes for the college teams. At the intercollegiate games on Saturday, eleven of Harvard's points were won by graduates of the association, and five of Yale's, and twelve of Harvard's team received their first training at the interscholastic meetings.

Nor does the usefulness of the association lie in giving stars to the athletic world. It interests hundreds of boys in healthy out door sport, and helps to make them into strong and able-bodied men.