The Prospect Progressive Union.

The Prospect Progressive Union is carrying on very active work in Cambridgeport this winter. The space on the second floor occupied by the Union was found too small for its needs, and the penates have been moved to the fourth floor, the whole of which is now rented by the month. One room has been fitted up for lectures and meetings, and the other six will be used as reading, smoking and class rooms, one being set aside for college men. It is hoped that college men may be found ready to live in this room for a month at a time.

If enough men can be obtained, a small permanent settlement may thus be effected. The success of the work which the Union is doing this year makes its promotors desirous of securing an annual lease of this floor. If such a lease should be taken, the expenses of the Union would probably be about $900 per annum. The Cambridgeport members contribute some $400. The remaining $500 the friends of the Union hope to be able to raise in college. The cause is certainly a good one, and there ought to be little difficulty in supporting it.

The name which the Union now enjoys is unfortunate in several respects. It is clumsy, and it has led to confusion with the progressive benefit order which occupies part of the same building. "The Harvard Extension" has been proposed as a substitute, and may very likely be adopted. "Harvard House" has also been suggested, but there is already a hotel of that name in the Port.

Tuesday evening lectures are now regularly given by well-known teachers. Some Harvard men go to them, and it is wished that more might attend. Last week Prof. John Fiske lectured on "The Discovery of America." Tomorrow the Rev. Mr. Brazier of Boston speaks on Henry George's "Single Tax Theory." On the 19th, Dr. A. P. Peabody will talk of the "Uses and Responsibilities of Wealth," and on the 26th Mr. Henry R. Legate will lecture on "The Municipalization of Natural Monopoly" Prof. Shaler and Mr. Edward Atkinson will also speak in the near future. A course of nine lectures on the English literature of the nineteenth century, from Scott to George Eliot, will be begun next Thursday evening. The speakers will be chiefly Harvard men, among them S. F. McCleary D. S., R. M. Lovett '92, and W. T. Brewster '92. Mr. George W. Cram and Mr. Bradley '86, will also take part. After these lectures are concluded, it is hoped that a course of six lectures on American literature may be arranged.

On New Year's day the Union gave a reception which was largely attended. Dow's orchestra, Miss Mabel Austin and the Pythian Quartette furnished music.

The promoters of the Union have been much encouraged by a letter recently received from the Rev. Francis G. Peabody. Extracts from this letter follow:

KAISER WILHELM HOTEL,Dresden, Dec. 16, 1891.My Dear Mr. Lovett: - Your kind letter about the affairs of the Union gave me great pleasure, and I have also read in the CRIMSON other facts, which brought me much satisfaction. I congratulate you all on the work you have done, and as I look over the many movements in Europe for improving the condition of the working classes, I find myself more and more drawn to the kind of work which the Union represents. The labor question is, after all, a question of personal training and discipline. The millenium is not to come by some great social revolution, but by the education of the mind and conscience of individuals. The work you are trying to do seems slow, and is not showy, but it is the real work after all. I wish you would tell the members of the Union of my constant thought of them. Say to them, please, that I think we are dealing with the social question in the most healthy, quiet and manly way, and that if the Union prospers in its present lines, it will have a broad influence in the world. It is very strange that you should ask me whether I could propose any change of name which will show how close the Union stands to the college, for I was thinking of the same thing just before your letter came. It seems to me time to make such a change. The Union and the University are now committed to each other. If the settlement plan succeeds, this will be more true, but even now it is the University which directs the Union. A name ought to say this plainly. It should be a short and easy name. I think we have already pointed out to us something of the kind. In London there is an "Oxford House." In Boston there is an "Andover House" and a "Trinity House." This has become the title of places which are partly social homes and partly lecture centres. Why should we not have a "Harvard House?" I do not wish to dictate about this, but I think it high time to have a name with more meaning it than the present one.

Cordially yours,FRANCIS G. PEABODY.