Princeton's Commencement Hall.

A commencement hall is being erected at Princeton. It is the gift of Mrs. Chas. B. Alexander of New York and has been designed by a well-known New York architect. The building is situated in the centre of the campus and is mainly Gothic in style. At each end of the front is a circular tower, joined by the vaulted ceiling of a lobby. Cloisters extend around the whole building and from these are seven entrances to the main hall. This is shaped like a Greek theatre and the seats are arranged in a horse shoe form. The stage is 18x36 feet in dimensions and seats for the officers of the college will be arranged upon it. Musicians' galleries are built at either side of the platform. The seating capacity of the auditorium is about 1500.

The building is constructed of granite and brown stone and the exterior is decorated with bas-reliefs illustrating the arts and sciences, and statues of famous men. The interior walls are to be adorned with mosaic, representing the different branchs of learning. This building, which is to be known as Alexander Hall, will be used much as Sanders Theatre is used, although it was primarily designed for a commencement hall. Work is being rapidly carried on and it is believed the building will be ready for the graduation of the class of '92.