A College Jury at Columbia.

The question of student jurisdiction has occasioned considerable discussion among the different colleges at various times and many plans have been suggested and put into practice by which the management of student organizations are left essentially in the power of the students themselves. It has been conclusively proved by searching experiments that athletics and other interests which belong particularly to students, cannot be satisfactorily conducted by undergraduates alone, nor by the Faculty alone. It follows that the plan which brings the two bodies into closer and more friendly relations must in the end be most beneficial to the college.

The formation of a college jury at Columbia shows a realization of this fact. The idea was originated by President Low. The management of the athletic grounds has been a cause of much dissatisfaction to students as well as to Faculty, and it is hoped that a way out of the difficulty has been found. The votes, as drawn up, propose that full power be put into the hands of a jury composed of the presidents of each class. The president maintains the right, however, to veto any action, if deemed advisable. This seems the only point on which objections are raised, but the prevailing spirit is that, by such a method, President Low will be brought into closer contact with the students and obtain a more correct idea of the sentiment of the college on all matters of student life.