Junior Crew.

Since the Christmas vacation, the junior crew candidates have been at work very assiduously every afternoon going through the regular routine of dumb-bell exercise, a half-hour's work at the rowing-weights, and a brisk run of from three to ten miles. Up to last Saturday, over twenty men had it in their mind's eye to row in the '93 boat next May; but on Saturday, the ambitions of several of these were unavoidably thwarted and at present exactly sixteen men are left in the lottery for places, - that is, sixteen men exclusive of Capt. Burgess and D. Osborne Earle, who are coaching the crew in their accustomed spirited manner.

Yesterday, as at 5.30 o'clock, fifteen sweaters were peeled off from as many broad backs in the dimly-lighted rowing room of the gymnasium, the candidates for the '93 crew grasped their oars in the following positions:

FIRST CREW.

Stroke, G. Burgess (J. Baldwin).

7 C. Brewer.

6 C. W. Keyes.

5 D. B. Duffield.

4 C. B. Pike.

3 R. G. Miller.

2 R. Macallister.

Bow, A. J. Dibblee.

SECOND CREW.

Stroke, C. R. Falk.

8 G. Collamore.

6 A. N. Broughton.

5 S. F. Batchelder.

4 C. W. Winslow.

3 N. T. Robb.

2 G. B. Pierce.

Hale is ill just now with the grippe and Baldwin was laid off temporarily yesterday in order that Burgess might stroke for the day. It will be seen by anyone glancing over the names of the two crews that many of the candidates are new men, or at least men who have never rowed in their class boat in any race. Of these new men perhaps the men who have improved the most and are rowing in the best form are Falk, Pike and Pierce. The excellence of Falk's rowing is attested by the fact that he is stroking the second crew. His strokes, however, are apt to be very long on account of the extreme length of his body and leg reach. In their particular firmaments, Pike and Pierce are also stars of some magnitude. The excellences and defects of the old men have so often been dwelt upon that it is needless to add another chapter to their rowing history.

The present number of candidates will be continued until the crew goes on the river in March, at which time more of an idea can be had of the permanent men in the boat.