John O. Sargent Dead.

John Osborne Sargent, of the class of 1830, died at his home in New York on December 28. From the time when Mr. Sargent entered college in 1826 he has been connected in various ways with Harvard, and has always taken a profound interest in his University. While he was in college he was very much esteemed, for besides being valedictorian of his class he was a member of the Institute of 1770, the Hasty Pudding, the Med Facs, the Porcellian Club, Grand Master of the Knights of the Square Table, and editor of the Collegian. In his work on the Collegian he had for a co-editor, Oliver Wendell Holmes. In after life he had a good deal to do with Mr. Holmes in editing a brochure entitled "Illustrations of the Athenian Gallery" and a collection of poems called "The Harbinger." His translation of Grun's Der Letzte Ritter, to which he gave the name of The Last Knight, a Romance Garland, he dedicated to Mr. Holmes.

After leaving college Mr. Sargent devoted himself to the study of law, and has since made for himself the name of an eminent lawyer. He also gave much of his early life to journalism, editing such papers as the Roston Atlas, the Battery, the Republic, and the Courier and Engineer of New York.

In 1861 Mr. Sargent retired from legal business, traveled abroad, and on his return settled down to the life of a scholar. The library which he collected was one of the finest in the country. He was very fond of German and Latin and translated many poems from each language.

It is in connection with his translations of Horace that Mr. Sargent is most familiarly known to Harvard men. The annual Sargent Prize of $100 for the best approved translation of an Ode of Horace is his gift. He first made the offer in 1886 when the sum was divided up and distributed into three prizes. Since then the gift has appeared annually, but as it is unknown whether he left any fund for continuing the prize, this year may be the last opportunity of competing for it.

Mr. Sargent was an overseer of the university, his term expiring on Commencement of this year. He was re-elected overseer in 1886.