Intercollegiate Challenge Chess Cup

In view of the coming chess tournament between Princeton, Yale, Columbia and Harvard, the following extracts from the rules and regulations are of interest:

"1. Tournaments shall be open to the students of Columbia, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. and shall be publicly held at New York city during the winter vacation.

"2. If there are four colleges competing in any tournament, then two players shall represents each college; if three or two colleges are competing, then each competing college shall be represented by three players. Any duly matriculated student may represent his college, provided he is also a graduate of that college, and in all cases at least one representative mtst be an undergraduate. No player can compete in more than five tournaments.

"6. The gate receipts shall be used as follows: (a) Expenses of the tournament and the medals; (b) Ten per cent. of the balance to be kept by the Treasurer as a contingent fund for incidental expenses and for special medals and prizes to be offered at later tournaments; (c) A fair allowance for expenses to each of the visiting teams; (d) one-half of the balance to the chess club of winning college, and the other half to be divided equally among the chess clubs of the other competing colleges.

"7. After the year 1895 other colleges may be allowed to compete, on terms to be arranged, in case of the unanimous consent of the colleges then qualified and competent to challenge and to compete.

"9. If any college fails to be represented for three successive years, it shall thereby forfeit all right to further competition, and can re-enter only by consent of the others who have remained in.

"11. Each member of the winning team shall receive a silver medal in commemoration of the tournament in which he wins; the date and his name being inscribed thereon.

"12. If the cup should remain with any one club for ten successive years, with or without challenge, it shall become the property of the corporation of the college which won it last."